Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computers, Maybe Some Answers To Why.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hi all,

>Yikes... My darn ADHD. Sorry acklan, cleaning it up now. :thumbsup: < Sadly that long blob of text was meant as help. O,o

I as well as my wife had run into the slow computer issues and here are some of the things I did to solve them. Thankfully we are running good now.

To start with was your computer ever fast to start with? I mean from day one did it seem to run slowly, and has gotten slower over time? Check your ram. If your low in ram the system will run everything slow even if you don't have an infection. Ram is cheap and easy to upgrade and makes a huge difference.

If you have maxed your ram or have enough, have you been inside your computer case? If so you may have a loose ram chip. Check that it is fully seated in the slot. Now, we are all set if the ram is not bad. And, I hope that things are running much better.

The other thing to check for those who upgraded things that draw power, is the power source.

If you have a dual or quad cpu... Are you using all of it? Some free third party cpu monitors will let you see if your dual core is use both cores for everything and the excess run over use then going to the second core. Or, is one core running all the system stuff. And, the other running the rest of your programs? That is how you want the cores being used most of the time.

Now, for those who want to tinker a bit more... :~)

Windows has performance counters for nearly everything. They hog system resources, and will slow you down a bit at startup.
exctrlst.exe is a tiny little program that allows you to turn off or on these counters hidden in WinXP.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...ab-793193604ba4 it is the link to that little program.

The other thing for those with 2 or more HD's keep everything not directly system related on a different HD, this will free up the system disk for system related things while any other HD will run for non system things.

These are some of my tricks I have used to improve my COWputer.

Kite

The Expert Noob

Edited by Kite, 25 June 2007 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

I would love to help but I am sooo confused after trying to read your topic I do not know where to begin. Not to be rude but could you condense your question down.
Just FYI. I run Win XP Pro from a P-III 500Mhz with 786mb of RAM. There is no reason you should not be able to get on line with that computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Kite

Kite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the post. O,o I am a dork. I fixed it. :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

So others may learn what was the fix?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Kite

Kite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Doah! Sorry. The fix for my wife was she needed ram even though here computer has a faster processor than me, her system was running very slow for her. It started out ok, but as she added programs it slowed down. It also turned out she had a couple of viruses. So now those are gone and she has much more ram... She ZOOMS. :thumbsup:

For me, well my thing is I like to download free software and try it out to share my results with people. And, I love to tinker or add things to my computer case. So I naturally think I am infected. Turns out I was that also. O,o So I reformat both HDs and I was running better but not at my old speed. I end up back in the case, and as I was checking things to make sure they had not worked free, I found that my ram was not fully inserted. After making sure it was insterted. I restart and am running good again. :flowers:

I was amazed at how a llittle ram could vastly improve things. I also started to notice from that day on at start up I can see how much ram in installed as well as other things. But, next time I wll notice if it is less that 320megs.

Thanks for not being upset with me. :trumpet:

Kite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users