Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

I recently bought a PCI graphics card and an LCD monitor for my computer. They both work great, and I figured it would be cool to hook up my old CRT monitor as well. Combine this with a "The Matrix" screen saver, and you've got a cooler computer than anyone else on the block. :thumbsup: Here's the setup I'm aiming at:

LCD --> Connected to --> PCI card (primary monitor, used for gaming)
CRT --> Connected to --> Motherboard graphics port (secondary monitor, for the heck of it)

I shut off my computer, attached the CRT to the Motherboard, and powered back up. When I logged in, the CRT monitor stayed black, but the power light was green, signifying that it was connected. I figured that Windows XP Pro didn't automatically extend my desktop, so I went into display properties and clicked the Settings tab... nothing. Normally, it shows two gray blocks representing the two monitors, but there was only the default Settings screen. I tried turning my computer off, plugging the LCD monitor into the motherboard port and doing it that way, but the LCD did the same thing as the CRT; had a green light, but showed a black screen. I tried plugging the CRT into the PCI slot, and it worked. I also checked the device manager, and it only showed one monitor attached, and interestingly the only thing under Display Adapters was my PCI card.

Apparently, my monitors are able to recognize the onboard graphics port on my motherboard, but the rest of my computer does not. It isn't a problem with the hardware because the monitors wouldn't recognize the port if it was broken. Both of my monitors work, so it isn't that either. Can anyone give me instructions on how to get XP to realize that it has an onboard graphics card? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Did you disable the onboard video card in BIOS when you first installed the PCI video card?

Have you now re-enabled it?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Also,

it might be helpful to know more about your system -

especially the make/model of PC/systemboard.

#4 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

I don't remember ever disabling it through the BIOS. That could be it, though. The entire system is mostly salvage from other computers with a few parts I bought thrown in. The motherboard came from a Compaq Evo d310, if that helps at all.

I'll try looking into the BIOS.

#5 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

I have a similar setup. When I bought my computer it came with a 15" LCD but I found it too small so I bought a 19". I tried to sell the small one but no go so I decided I might as well use it. I got an old el cheapo PCI video card 2nd hand from my local techie.
I had a bit of trouble getting it to work too but this is what I remember about the setup. (I hope I never have to set it up again)

Find out name of the motherboard chipset then download the latest drivers. Don't install, save.
Boot into setup and in the BIOS set the primary monitor to PCI. After you set the BIOS, shut down,disconnect the monitor from the onboard, install the drivers for the onboard, shut down, connect monitor and reboot. Then go into display properties (right click on desktop,->properties->display) and see if your monitor shows up.

If it doesn't show go to device manager and see if it shows there and if there is an exclamation mark there. If there is an exclamation mark, uninstall it then reboot and see if the computer finds it then.

That is all I can remember doing as well as switching monitors around to the opposite connections. Keep trying, you will get it set up. I don't know how I ever survived with only one monitor. I have my email, music player and some system monitor widgets on the small one and use the big one for work.

This is how mine is setup so I hope this helps in some small way.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#6 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

Ahaha! It was the Bios. Thanks for the help, guys. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that myself... :thumbsup:

Yeah, my extra is sitting on a stack of empty computer cases, so it's a little less than professional. It's nice, though.

Now I just need to find a Matrix screensaver that works on two monitors...

#7 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

I use a program called "Ultramon" to control the screensavers (even though i don't use them) and the desktop pics. It allows the screensaver to be run on both or a different one on each and you can have different desktop pics on each.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#8 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

I downloaded that Ultramon program. Very useful! Thanks for the info.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users