Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Hdd No Longer Works As Slave

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nubli

Nubli

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

A while back I had two hdd's setup, one as master and the other as slave. Upon restarting my computer nothing would load, so I simply removed the primary drive and set the slave as master.

Yesterday I tried installing Vista and started to get some serious errors, so I figured I'd set the drive back to slave and bring my older one back as master. When I load up the computer with this setup, it only detects the master drive and says nothing is there for the primary slave IDE slot. The hdd itself isn't burned out as it worked just the other day. I think I am experiencing the same problem as before, but I can't simply go back to the original setup because I need to pull some data off the fubared drive.

Basically I'm wondering why it won't detect the hdd as slave. The jumpers are in the correct spots respectively, the cables are plugged in properly, auto detection is activated in BIOS... what could be the culprit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

Are you putting the master at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users