Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard / Mouse Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Colin777

Colin777

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

I've recently upgraded to a new PC and was going to give my Win98 PC to a friend. However while trying to clear all the old files out of my documents and uninstalling programs I've managed to totally stop the keyboard from working. (Maybe the mouse as well).

The last thing I did was trying to insert a 2Gig memory stick onto the USB port. The PC locked up, on reboot it went into scan disk. It was then I noticed the keyboard would not work.

I've tried re-booting with the keyboard un-plugged / used another keyboard but still no good.

i don't know where to start as everything is operated around the keyboard / mouse.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Colin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

Is the keyboard and mouse USB?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Colin777

Colin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hello Mark,

No the keyboard & mouse are standard PS/2 connections.

Colin.

#4 0smino8

0smino8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

Did it happen exactly after you insirted the 2 GB stick. Do you have the usb 2.0 drivers installed? Why don't you just reinstall it?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

Does the keyboard and mouse work in safe mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Colin777

Colin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hello
Yes it seemed to lock up some time after trying to use the USB stick.
The keyboard and mouse are totally DEAD so i'm not sure how I would access the safe mode?

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

The keyboard and mouse are totally DEAD so i'm not sure how I would access the safe mode?

I've had PS/2 keyboard plugs go dead - I used a USB keyboard plug from that point on. Sometimes, the PS/2 plug would mysteriously return to its normal function. You should be able to plug in USB keyboard and mouse, unless the USB hardware was somehow damaged as well.

#8 Colin777

Colin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

OK thanks.
I'll try a USB keyboard, might be a while before I can locate one / buy an adapter.

Colin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users