Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trip

trip

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

Can someone please tell me why my DVD player wont play movies anymore, yet the drive will still play music CDs and games. Also the DVD software, both PowerDVD and Windows Media Player will show media files stored on my harddrive. I am using Windows XP on an AVERATEC 3200.
YOur help is appeciated
Trip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChinaCat

ChinaCat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:24 AM

Hi there!
I recently had a similar problem and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find help so here goes...

From what I understand the CDs and DVDs use different lasers (dont know if this is true, I read it somewhere) so even though one may be functional, the other may not.

Easiest fix is using a disc-type cleaner. I did, however, read that these will damage the laser head over time.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me so I had to physically take the drive out of the comp. open it up (voiding my warranty, of course) and cleaning the laser thing with alcohol (the high-grade kind but I think rubbing alcohol would work too) and a qtip.

Make sure you are VERY gentle! Do NOT apply more pressure than just the feeling that you are in contact with the lens! Otherwise you can damage the lens surface.
After cleaning it, dry it immediately with a new cotton tip or the other cotton edge.

That worked for me and hope this helps you too!

ChinaCat
newbie without a cool avatar or siggy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users