Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purple Dots And Lines Display On Screen (not A Monitor Problem)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sayeo87

sayeo87

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with an NVidia Geforce2 MX 400 graphics card.

When I enter Windows, there is a grid of equally spaced purple dots on my screen. When I drag a Window across the screen, these dots somehow get "dragged" along with the window, making the window contain a flurry of purple lines. When I minimize and maximize the window again, the lines are gone. Also, when I scroll up and down, the dots get scrolled too resulting in vertical lines across my screen.

I tried printing the screen to mspaint, and the lines show up there too.

This problem has been around even before I reformatted my PC just awhile back. I've also tried downloading the latest drivers afrom the nvidia site after the reformat and installing them but to no avail. I know it is not a problem with the monitor or the cable because I have plugged this monitor into my laptop and it works fine. Also, I noticed that the dots are not there when the computer boots up and during the Windows loading screen. They only appear at the "welcome" screen.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by sayeo87, 24 June 2007 - 06:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:51 PM

Does it do this in safemode?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sayeo87

sayeo87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

Yup, in safe mode too. I've also tried reseating the graphics card and that doesn't work. I want to test using another card but unfortunately I can't get my hands on an AGP one right now....

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:59 AM

Remove the graphics card, check the heatsink on the video chip to ensure that it is properly seated. you may need to remove the heatsink, clean all the thermal compound off the chip and heatsink, reapply thermal compound and replace the heatsink onto the card. "Warning" if you are not familiar with graphics card hardware dont do this yourself, you can ruin the card.

here is a link to general instructions: http://www.quietpcusa.com/vgainstall.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users