Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zen Stories

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

Hi all, I enjoy Zen stories soo much I'd figure I'd share a few, and maybe you would also have ones to tell!

How poor people live!

One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to
the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people
live.
They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be
considered a very poor family.
On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was
the trip?"
"It was great, Dad."
"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.
"Oh yeah," said the son.
"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.!
The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four.
We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have
a creek that has no end.
We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at
night.
Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.
We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go
beyond our sight.
We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.
We buy our food, but they grow theirs.
We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to
protect them."
The boy's father was speechless.
Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would
happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of
worrying about what we don't have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
THE BRICK

A young and successful executive was traveling down a neighborhood street, going a bit too fast in his new Jaguar. He was watching for kids darting out from between parked cars and slowed down when he thought he saw something. As his car passed, no children appeared. Instead, a brick smashed into the Jag's side door!
He slammed on the brakes and backed the Jag back to the spot where the brick had been thrown. The angry driver then jumped out of the car, grabbed the nearest kid and pushed him up against a parked car shouting,"What was that all about and who are you? Just what the heck are! you doing? That's a new car and that brick you threw is going to cost a lot of money. Why did you do it?"
The young boy was apologetic. "Please, mister..please, I'm sorry but I didn't know what else to do," He pleaded, "I threw the brick because no one else would stop..."
With tears dripping down his face and off his chin, the youth pointed to a spot just around a parked car."It's my brother," he said. "He rolled off the
curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I can't lift him up." Now sobbing, the boy asked the stunned executive, "Would you please help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too heavy for me."
Moved beyond words, the driver tried to swallow the rapidly swelling lump in his throat He hurriedly lifted the handicapped boy back into the wheelchair, then took out a linen handkerchief and dabbed at the fresh scrapes and cuts.
A quick look told him everything was going to be okay.. "Thank you and may God bless you," the grateful child told the stranger. Too shook up for words, the man simply watched the boy push his wheelchair-bound brother down the sidewalk toward their home. It was a long, slow walk back to the Jaguar.
The damage was very noticeable, but the driver never bothered to repair
the dented side door. He kept the dent there to remind him of this message, "Don't go through life so fast that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happiness

A men went out hunting one day and stumbled upon a tiger, the man ran and ran as fast as he could, but even more tigers joined the chase. Eventually the man ran so hard and wasn't paying attention he slid off the side of a cliff, but was able to grab a hold of a root. The man looked up, the tigers stood snarling. The man looked down, there were sharp rocks and aligators. The man then noticed a strawberry bush out of the corner of his eye, he plucked the straw berry, and gently took a bite. As he fell to his death the man thought to himself "My, what a wounderful strawberry".

The point of this story is that you cannot have controll of outside events, but you can controll your own happiness.

Edited by ussr1943, 24 June 2007 - 12:24 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

I used to study Zen Buddhism in the 80's and liked it so much,I reg my car at that time with 'ZEN' on the Number Plate.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic92605.html Post #8.

The teachings make a lot of sense to me. :thumbsup:

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

Thats pretty neat DSTM :thumbsup: . and yes i believe everyone could learn a thing or two from Zen Buddhism.

I have a few more good stories to post but I figure I'll let other people post up, besides it's 1:33 AM right now :flowers:

Edited by ussr1943, 24 June 2007 - 12:34 AM.

"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

And here's another ...

Two monks were once traveling together down a muddy road.
A heavy rain was falling. Coming around the bend,
they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash,
unable to cross the intersection.
"Come on, girl," said the first monk. Lifting her
in his arms, he carried her over the mud.
The second monk did not speak again until that night
when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer
could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females,"
he said. "It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"
"I left the girl there," the first monk said.
"Are you still carrying her?"

(Suspect this may have enfluenced my "if it won't matter a year from now, let it go - now" attitute I strive for when it comes to hiccups in life - gentle smile).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

Brilliant, bring on some more wisdom :thumbsup:
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

Making a difference

Ryokan was a Zen teacher of repute. One day a fisherman saw him walking on the beach soon after a storm. The storm had washed up thousands of starfish on the shore, and they were beginning to dry up. Soon all of them would be dead. Ryokan was picking up starfish and throwing them into the sea.
The fisherman caught up with the teacher and said, “Surely, you cannot hope to throw all these starfish back into the sea? They will die in their thousands here. I’ve seen it happen before. Your effort will make no difference.”
“It will to this one,” said Ryokan, throwing back another starfish into the sea.

- - -
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

I love that. It's exactly what I was thinking before I read his response. Brilliant
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, "I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it." The teacher's reply was casual, "Ten years." Impatiently, the student answered, "But I want to master it faster than that. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, ten or more hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?" The teacher thought for a moment, "20 years."

The Master is telling the Student he needs to learn Patience. :thumbsup:

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

This isn't specificly a Zen story but I believe it carries as much wisdom as a Zen story.

"I can sleep on windy nights"

One summer when a boy had turned 17, his parents said "You are now an adult, it's time you go out into the world and earn your own living, we love you and wish you the best of luck." The boy packed all he could in a backpack and set out looking for a job. about 10 miles down the road he came upon a house with a sign "help wanted" the boy approached the door and knocked. A sweet lady came to the door and asked him if he wanted a job doing chores around her house, he replied yes. "But you must answer a question for me, are you a hard worker?" said the lady, the boy replied "I can sleep on windy nights", the lady was puzzeled by the response and bid the boy go away. The boy walked farther down the street while daylight was dimming, he came upon a store that had a help wanted sign out. He smelled the sweet smell of a warm meal and the cozy lights inside. He knocked and the store owner came "you must be looking for a job! you must answer me 1 question first, are you a hard worker?" The boy replied "I can sleep on windy nights" the store owner equally puzzeled as the lady before also bid him go away. The boy walked farther down the road, daylight was almost gone by this point and it was getting hard to see, the boy was worried he'd have to sleep outside, during this thought he saw a farm with a help wanted sign out. He approached the door and the farmer came out. The boy eyed hungrily at the farmer's dinner and the coziness of his house. "I would like to work for you, in exchange for a place to stay and food." "Ok said the farmer, but you must answer me this, are you a hard worker?" "I can sleep on windy nights." replied the boy, the farmer was puzzeled but really needed the help so he let the boy in and gave him a bed and a warm meal. The boy worked hard for the next week, and the farmer knew it was the right decision to hire him. But one night there was a huge windstorm, and tornados were reported in the ares, the farmer panicked thinking of how to save his farm. He ran to the boy's room and shook him and slapped him and even poured water on him, yet the boy didn't wake up. By this time the wind picked up immensly and the farmer ran outside thinking "ohh now the barn doors will be open I'll loose all my cows. But he saw that the farm doors were secured by the boy. "ohh no my chicken coop is anchored down!" he ran accross the farm to the coop, and saw the boy had anchored it down and secured the doors. The farmer marveled at the boy's work but just then it hit him, the grain. If the grain isn't stacked right it will just blow away! The farmer ran to the field and saw the grain stacked all nice neat and secure. The farmer walked back to the house and as he passed the boy's room, he looked in and saw the boy sound asleep, he then whispered "Now I know why you said , "I can sleep on windy nights" "

The story is about how there are storm in your life, such as a big exam, are you prepared for them?

I know you thought that was a loooooong story, but I had to type it all out manually.

Edited by ussr1943, 26 June 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

That's a nice Story'ussr1943'and still gives one a message, similar to Zen Stories.
As you said previously,we can all learn something,from 'Zen Buddhism'. :thumbsup:

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

KoanYorel....

Koan definition = A paradoxical, and often senseless (to some), question posed in Ch’an Buddhism to aid in meditation. “What is the sound of one hand clapping” is a well known koan. Zen koans are riddles used by masters to confuse and disorient students as a means of awakening.

KoanYorel's quest is to describe the sound made of one eye blinking. Preferably the non-dominate eye....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

:flowers: :thumbsup:

#13 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

An interesting one.

One day a monk and his friend were walking by a river. "Look at the fish swimming about," said the monk, "They are really enjoying themselves."

"You are not a fish," replied the friend, "So you can't truly know that they are enjoying themselves."

"You are not me," said the monk. "So how do you know that I do not know that the fish are enjoying themselves?"

#14 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:52 PM

Right and Wrong

When Bankei held his seclusion-weeks of meditation, pupils from many parts of Japan came to attend. During one of these gatherings a pupil was caught stealing. The matter was reported to Bankei with the request that the culprit be expelled. Bankei ignored the case.

Later the pupil was caught in a similar act, and again Bankei disregarded the matter. This angered the other pupils, who drew up a petition asking for the dismissal of the thief, stating that otherwise they would leave in a body.

When Bankei had read the petition he called everyone before him. "You are wise brothers," he told them. "You know what is right and what is not right. You may go somewhere else to study if you wish, but this poor brother does not even know right
from wrong. Who will teach him if I do not? I am going to keep him here even if all the rest of you leave."

A torrent of tears cleansed the face of the brother who had stolen. All desire to steal had vanished.

Learning to Be Silent

The pupils of the Tendai school used to study meditation before Zen entered Japan. Four of them who were intimate friends promised one another to observe seven days of silence.

On the first day all were silent. Their meditation had begun auspiciously, but when night came and the oil lamps were growing dim one of the pupils could not help exclaiming to a servant: "Fix those lamps."

The second pupils was surprised to hear the first one talk. "We are not supposed to say a word," he remarked.

"You two are stupid. Why did you talk?" asked the third.

"I am the only one who has not talked," concluded the fourth pupil.

Present Moment

A warrior was captured by his enemies and thrown into prison. That night he was unable to sleep because he feared that the next day he would be interrogated, tortured, and executed. Then the words of his Zen master came to him, "Tomorrow is not real. It is an illusion. The only reality is now." Heeding these words, the warrior became peaceful and fell asleep.

Edited by ussr1943, 27 June 2007 - 12:02 AM.

#15 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

"does a fish have buddha nature?"

And does the Monk ken?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users