Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GOPHER77

GOPHER77

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm new to DSL, having just attached yesterday.
My question, if you have time is to ask about a router. The modem that came with DSL is just for this destop. My son wants to be able to use his laptop also. What issues are there with putting in a router? Last evening he tried to attach his laptop with the ethernet cable that was connected to the desktop and that must have messed things up because I had to call today and they walked me through resetting the modem. With that in mind, I'm nervous about trying to attach a router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:28 AM

Setting up a DSL connection for more than one computer is fairly straight forward. It will also depend if the modem has a built in DHCP router. If it dos then all you need it a hub or switch, the modem will take care of all the rest.
If not then you can pick up a router at Walmart (US) that will have you setup in about 10 minutes. I would recommend the Linksys WTR54G. This is a wireless router that can also handle 4 wired network connection. Very easy to setup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The modem from AT&T is a westell a small 4x4 black box and I have no idea about DHCP. I'm not computer savvy. I'll go to walmart and get the Linksys you mentioned. My desk pc does not have wireless capability. Are the directions easy to understand? As I mentioned, yesterday my son tried to attach his laptop with the ethernet cable and that did something to the modem that then had to be reset. I had to call AT&T.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

Yes the Linksys router is very easy to setup and install.
I need you to go into the modem through your browser. You will type the Gateway address into the browser's address bar.
Go to Start then Run. In the dialog box type in cmd and press enter. When the command line opens type in ipconfig. You are looking for the Default Gateway. That is the ip address you will enter into the address bar and press enter. If a User name\Password box pops up enter admin in the password field and leave the User Name empty, then press enter. I need to know the Model number of the modem.

#5 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Well... I'm just reading your reply now. We went out and got the router and followed the cd instructions until we got stuck at step 10 when asked to change the password and also when we were told to check the cable between the router and pc. I called lynksys,they said the ip and gateway addresses were too similar? It took 90 minutes, on the phone,but it finally worked.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

That is great.

Did you buy the wireless? If you did and are not using the wireless feature be sure to turn it off so the neighbors cannot access your LAN. If you are be sure to use the provided security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users