Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partioning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hi all again, I have an old computer, actually a friend said I i could fix it up I could just kepe it. He appearently used some sore of nuke boot to clear his HD which had windows ME on it origionally, and took all the parts out. I reassembeled it and got it up to the BIOS at which point it asks for a floppy boot disc, I want to put linux on this old comp, but a floppy? so what i ended up doing wa inserting an old win 98 bootdisk into the floppy drive to get the CD drive to work, the options are to start from CD drive and continue with start up or go without CD drive assistance. So i start up with CD drive and it tells me I need to partition the system, and when I enter the DOS command FDISK (which the computer tells me is the command to make a partition) a notice comes up stateing "The disc does not need to be fixed" or something to that effect. What's the deal? I iknow I'm not very tech oriented but any help and I'd appreciate it. I hope this is the right place to ask.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

I don't know the specific answer to your problem, but have you considered maybe using a 'nix boot disk to reformat the drive?

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

Check the BIOS on the computer. See if it will allow for CD booting. If it does then you can just use a Linux Install CD to reformat and partition the Drive when it installs. If it doesnt you will need a Floppy boot disk. Whatever distro your using will most likely have one for downloading. What distro are you going to use?

Posted Image

#4 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

I was thinking ubuntu.

EDIT: No it will not boot from CD, and I found a Windows ME boot disc, I figured this could do the trcick but everytime I enter the command "Fdisk" I get a reply "No disks to be fixed" (something simmilar)

Edited by ussr1943, 23 June 2007 - 11:08 PM.

"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

How about "format c:\"?

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

I attempted the format command with different parameters but it says "unable to format"]

EDIT I was able to find the problem by using microsoft and searching. Here's what I ended up with.

Error Message When You Run ScanDisk or Fdisk: No Fixed Disks Present
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 309459
Last Review : January 31, 2007
Revision : 1.3
This article was previously published under Q309459
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to run the MS-DOS command-line utility fdisk.exe, or when you run ScanDisk from within Windows, you may receive an error message similar to the following:
No fixed disks present.
NOTE: This error message may occur intermittently, and you may receive this error message even though your computer's hard disk is detected in the computer Power On Self Test (POST).

CAUSE
This behavior can occur because of any of the following hardware issues:
• The hard disk is defective or too hot.
• The jumper settings on the hard disk are incorrectly configured.
• The hard disk data cable is defective or too long.
• The hard disk controller is defective or incorrectly configured in the computer BIOS.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a computer diagnostic program or further troubleshooting information.

For information about how to contact computer hardware manufacturers, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows 95

Back to the top
Keywords:
kberrmsg kbprb KB309459

Edited by ussr1943, 24 June 2007 - 10:21 AM.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

No Fixed Disks Present is substantially different than the error you reported in the first post, The disc does not need to be fixed" or something to that effect. Perhaps we would have been able to help you better with a proper error message? :thumbsup:

#8 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

No Fixed Disks Present is substantially different than the error you reported in the first post, The disc does not need to be fixed" or something to that effect. Perhaps we would have been able to help you better with a proper error message? :thumbsup:

I know I'm sorry see I only have one monitor, so By the time I try out the commands and come back I forget, and then I keep forgetting to write it down. I'm thinking that because the cmd prompt is showing A:> that I have to use the cd C: command

EDIT: nope changing to C: doesnt really help either, keep getting same error.

Edited by ussr1943, 24 June 2007 - 12:58 PM.

#9 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

if you are in the A: drive (floppy) to get to the hard drive which is usually the c: drive you type "c:" that's "c colon" without the quotes not "cd c:" or you can type "dir c:" without the quotes to see if there is any thing on the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users