Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod, Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 indarkflames

indarkflames

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

So, I own an Alienware Area-51 7500. Since the first time I got the computer, I always had my share of BSOD and random freezes. Even though I would try to resolve the problems with them, I would only get adviced to do a clean Windows Installation, which was the case the second day I got the computer. Since then, the freezes and BSODs have been up and down but lately it had been increasing. There were even instances of failed XP boots, resulting in me doing several Dskchk /r to solve the issues. Well, after going through all this, I decided to take one of my 1 gig ram sticks out, and the problem has significantly decreased. I have yet to have a failing XP boot, and the amount of freezing has nearly vanished. But in the rare instances when it does crash, it actually shows a BSOD that I didn't see before, which states;
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0X00000D1 (0X06A80018, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X7C911713). The earlier BSOD's were 'Kernel' related and this one is not. I really would like to know what is wrong with this computer, and I am aware that I am not giving all that much information, and for that excuse me. I mainly would like to know if the ram stick I took out was indeed truly faulty, if not, I would definitely like to go back to having 2 gigs of ram.

Thank you for your time and your help :thumbsup:

Edited by indarkflames, 23 June 2007 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

This sounds to me like a faulty motherboard. Possibly a drive controller. How long have you had this 'puter? Is it under warranty?

Edited by NEsince92, 24 June 2007 - 12:45 AM.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

Do you have the BIOS virus protection turned on? If you do, turn it off, and run your memory tests. the only acceptable result is zero errors. Use MEMTEST 86.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

Alright, I will run Memtest and report back to results. Thanks.
And The computer still should be under warranty.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

You can download a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and run that test also.
You can download a free copy of SiSoft Sandra Lite ( http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264 ) and run it to check for mobo issues.

After that, it'll be a matter of trying various things until we locate what's causing the issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

well, I just ran Sandra Lite and when I checked for my motherboard, it said that Memory bus speed exceeds chipset rated speed. I am not overclocking the system, it is how it came to me. Could this be related to my problems? What can I do about it?
I am in the process of doing a Memcheck, I will write back with more updates.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

Try reseting the BIOS to default settings. Worth a try
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

The Memtest, hard drive test, and the SiSoft Sandra give a pretty good picture of the hardware health of your system. I wouldn't worry about the memory bus speed overmuch, but resetting your BIOS is worth a shot to ensure that your system is running stably.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

So, I ran Memtest on both of the ram sticks.
I ran the test for 4 and a half hours on the one that I have been using, and it passed 18 times, and failed none. Then I ran the test for a little over 6 hours on the one I assumed was faulty, and it passed 24 tests, and failed none also. So, this makes me think that maybe the problem, all along, was the specific memory slot one of my ram sticks was in. Is this a legit assumption?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:37 AM

To be thorough, you should run the Memtest on a stick that's in the slot that you suspect to be bad. The software tests the responses of the RAM to the different tests - if there's something in the slot/wiring that interferes with the test it'll give similar results as if it were a bad stick.

Looks like your RAM is good in the slots that you've tested it in, finding out where the issue resides in the motherboard is crucial if you're going to retain the motherboard instead of buying a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users