Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Oppinions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hey there guys just need to know some information

I wanna know which is the best current anti-spyware out. I recently got Ad-Aware 2007, but its an awful resource muncher, even with the free version theres a useless 22k memory wasted not doing anything, since process watch is only for Pro or Plus editions. If you try to close it down it works but when u open ad-aware again you get an error. Anyways...

Back to the question, if anyone knows a good FREE anti-spyware lemme know

Much appreciated and I thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

There are several listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

However I will differ on the memory/resource usage: this computer is only using 1,572K for the aawservice process. It goes up to about 20K when i run a system scan.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hi Roadblock,

For (free)Anti-Spyware Programs check out our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

Maybe you should do an uninstall/reinstall if you are having issues with Ad-Aware 2007. It shouldn't be using much for resources unless it's actually scanning.

Edit:*Didn't realize you were posting oldf@rt. Great minds think alike!*

Edited by TMacK, 23 June 2007 - 04:05 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

Back to the question, if anyone knows a good FREE anti-spyware lemme know

Don't settle for just one antispyware program. Install several of them. Some will catch malware that others will miss - they all have strengths and weaknesses. (This is not the case with antivirus programs, where you should only have one installed or you're at serious risk of conflicts.)

I've used the following free antispyware scanners for some time now, and feel very confident in them:
Spybot - Search and Destroy
SuperAntispyware
Windows Defender (runs with real-time protection)
A-Squared (valuable but needs to be used with caution, as it tends to throw up false positives quite often)
AdAware SE (I don't intend to touch the new 2007 version until they've ironed out all the problems.)

I also have SpywareBlaster installed, which isn't a scanner - it effectively 'immunizes' your system against a whole rack of spyware. Spybot also has a similar kind of protection built in as an option, and it can be used in conjunction with SpywareBlaster.

I also have AVG Antispyware as part of the AVG Security suite, which I pay a subscription for - but you can get AVG Antispyware on its own as a free program - it just won't offer real time protection.

This may not be the best combination out there, but they all seem to work very well together on my machine, and have done so for some time. I just rotate the scanners - a-squared one day, Superantispyware the next, and so on.

Also - don't forget Microsoft's own Malicious Software Removal Tool. This is downloaded along with Windows updates and runs once a month or so, but you can run the program more often than that if you wish.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users