Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OTCLTT

OTCLTT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ok, well, hmm!

I formated my SCSI (stupid mistake) and now I don't know how to re-install windows, all I get it this black (well, kinda tinted brown/black) screen, with a flashing underscore "_"
My IDE has Windows installed on it, but, how do I re-vive my Scuzzy drive?

It's not that I want the data back, it's that I want to Re-Install windows on it. But all I get is a blank black screen with a "_" in the top left.

Help?!

Booting from my Windows installation disk doesn't work, it still goes to the underscore screen.

It's an IBM computer, this is some of the various things my screen will show.

This is what it says "

F2 to enter setup

F12 to run from NETWORK (or something like that)

<Ctrl><A> for SCSI Utility (that's how I formatted it)

Boot Failure: System Halted"

Then, in my BIOS, I went under "Boot", then "Boot Device Properties" and the first says "ATAPI CD-ROM"
And then, "Intel Boot Agent VE" and the last one is set to "Disabled"

Then, I made the 6 Floppies (for boot disks, from here, but when I put it #1 it says

"Boot: I/O Error Reading Disk
Please insert another disk"

Help pls!

[SCSI Hard Drive,
Windows XP Pro SP2
IBM Computer]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:12 AM

Have you tried booting with your windows CD? Does the SCSI drive appear as a choice when it asks you where you wish to install Windows? If it does you need to Partition the SCSI drive in NTFS and format the drive. If not list the drives windows does see in the installation process.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

Dunno much about SCSI - but you do have to load drivers for it in order to get Windows to load on it (you do this by pressing F6 during the early stages of the installation).

Sounds like your system is trying to boot from the SCSI rather than the installation on the IDE drive - could it be that the boot sector for your system was on the SCSI drives (and since it's gone, the computer can't boot)?

Try repairing the IDE installation with the SCSI drives disconnected to see if that'll work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 OTCLTT

OTCLTT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

Have you tried booting with your windows CD? Does the SCSI drive appear as a choice when it asks you where you wish to install Windows? If it does you need to Partition the SCSI drive in NTFS and format the drive. If not list the drives windows does see in the installation process.

It doesn't even boot from the CD, it's been inside the drive the whole time.

Dunno much about SCSI - but you do have to load drivers for it in order to get Windows to load on it (you do this by pressing F6 during the early stages of the installation).

Sounds like your system is trying to boot from the SCSI rather than the installation on the IDE drive - could it be that the boot sector for your system was on the SCSI drives (and since it's gone, the computer can't boot)?

Try repairing the IDE installation with the SCSI drives disconnected to see if that'll work.

The IDE works now, I'm just trying to get the SCSI to work, and I don't think it will load from the IDE because it's a USB plug in, and I'd need the drivers for it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

If the IDE is USB, then it's a major job to get it to boot XP - way harder than the SCSI!

I'd suggest booting from the Windows XP CD and doing an install to the SCSI drives - you'll have to have the SCSI drivers handy on a floppy disk for when the Windows Installer asks for them (it's a small message at the bottom of the screen that says "Press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers). After that the installation should proceed smoothly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

If you can't boot from the CD you may need to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:38 PM

Also, make sure that you turn off quick boot. If you have any internal drives other than the Optical drive, make sure that they are not occupying the MASTER 0 position in the ide chain.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users