Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powersearch Toolbar Not Fully Removed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Apparently my system is infected with the adware Powersearch toolbar.

http://www.pctools.com/en/mrc/infections/i...arch%20Toolbar/

Here is more information on this type of adware.

I scanned with Spyware Doctor a few days ago and got this result. I removed it. I then scanned the following day and Spyware Doctor once again detected Powersearch Toolbar. I removed it once again. I repeated this process yesterday- same result. Now I scanned today and it is still there. Evidently Spyware Doctor cannot remove it. Can someone please help?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, buddy215.

I will try what you said, but unfortunately I do not have access to the infected computer at this time. I will report back when I do.

Again, thanks for your help.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Scanned and both Bitdefender and Superantispyware found nothing.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/...ch-Toolbar.html

Could it be as simple as deleting from the Add/Remove program? That would be nice.
If the program is listed in Add/Remove, it would be best to attempt to delete in Safe mode.

If not, post the Hijack This log following the directions in the link in my last post.

Edited by buddy215, 25 June 2007 - 10:01 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

No, it is not in Add/Remove Programs.

If only it were that easy! The strange thing is that I do not see any toolbar in Firefox or IE that could possibly resemble Powersearch toolbar.

Sorry for not posting earlier.

Edited by nyyanks, 28 June 2007 - 09:56 AM.

Albert Einstein

Not really!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Before you post the Hijack This log---Where is Spyware Doctor finding the malware? What file/folder?
Are you getting popups, etc.?
Could it be that Spyware Doctor is finding the malware in System Restore?

#8 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'm very sorry; I have been away from computers for quite some time now and did not get a chance to respond. I hope you understand.

Strangely, I scanned today and the malware was not there! :thumbsup:

Do you think it is gone for good?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

Probably.

I can give you one explanation why it doesn't show in your latest scan. System Restore is limited to how much disk space it uses. When the alloted disk space is filled, the oldest restore point gets bumped when a new one gets created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users