Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is Everybody Talking About Paris Hilton?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

Can someone please tell me why everybody is talking about Paris Hilton? Whereever I turn her name and/or face pops up. Is she so popular/sexy/stupid/rich that everyone has to talk about her and look at her, or is "Paris going to jail" just payback time, because everybody hates her? I don't get it, so can anyone explain this to me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

Paris Hilton is a celebrity for all of the wrong reasons which turns off a lot of people for that reason alone. But the other side of this is the duplicitous legal standards that the rich and famous enjoy. Paris Hilton was first arrested for reckless driving and driving under the influence (DUI) which has a mandatory sentence of 48 hours to 6 months, she was out within hours and never served the mandatory time, most anyone else would have served time. Paris Hilton pled no contest to the charges and the DMV suspended her license and she was place on probation, she was caught driving twice on that suspended license a short time later which resulted in her being sentenced to jail time. The judge on the case gave her time off for good behavior for actually showing up for her court date, this cut her sentence in half, this didn't sit well with the common people. Once she was in jail the sheriff released her after the first day citing health issues, she was already sick of being in jail, this was fuel for the fire for those who resented her special treatment. This same sheriff has a reputation for taking kickbacks and other semi legal forms of graft, I wounder how large the "donation" was that he received from the Hiltons.

Basically it boils down to it not being so much of who she is but what she represents and the special treatment that these people receive.

There is another aspect of this, the press loves having a celebrity making the news and will play it for all it's worth, before Paris Hilton it was Anna Nicole Smith, the trailer trash who made good.

Edited by dc3, 23 June 2007 - 12:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

o no not another paris hilton thread at this rate we will have to give her own forum :thumbsup: :flowers:

joking aside as she is in the public eye (no i don't understand either)she is talked about .
now with the jail thing it seems she's even more in the spotlight (nooooooooooooooo)
at the end of the day she's only famous because she's rich but also she keeps herself in the public eye using any means nescesary .
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

It's to avoid talking about the really important issues facing us. It's much easier for the Media to talk about her latest episode than spend the time and money investigating global warming, education, or government incompetence.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

The media is using her and other "celebrities" to keep the publics minds off the important issues that jgweed mentioned.

Posted Image

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

It's to avoid talking about the really important issues facing us. It's much easier for the Media to talk about her latest episode than spend the time and money investigating global warming, education, or government incompetence.
Regards,
John

Totally agree 'jgweed'. Our John Howard would like us to believe he is the biggest Fan of sport,since our Colony began.DIR. :flowers: I believe, it's a cunning ploy by the Government,to saturate our TV's with Sport,and in doing so, takes our mind off the mess our Country is really in. One way of controlling the masses Psyche wise instead of risking a rebellion.
Still glad we have sport as a diversion,instead of a Paris Hilton. YUK. :trumpet:

EDIT.'BlackSpyder' is right when he says it is simply a Diversion from the real issues. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 23 June 2007 - 10:30 PM.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

I'm not talking... :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:27 AM

I'm not talking... :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers:

I'm with you -

I refuse to post in a thread about Paris Hilton.

:inlove:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

I should add here that it is not all the fault of the Media and its profit structure that makes spending money on news reporting questionable in their eyes. It is also the fault of the programme's viewers who put up (perhaps to avoid thinking about serious problems) with all the time devoted by media to such drivel.
Panem et circensus.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

I should add here that it is not all the fault of the Media and its profit structure that makes spending money on news reporting questionable in their eyes. It is also the fault of the programme's viewers who put up (perhaps to avoid thinking about serious problems) with all the time devoted by media to such drivel.
Panem et circensus.
Cheers,
John

As I posted in another thread, the media's motto is "if it bleeds it leads", and the same morbid curiosity that makes us slow down to look at traffic accident is driving the media, it's called sensationalism.

At the time that the media was watching and waiting for Paris Hilton to exit her house to return to jail one of the major networks covering it took a break to announce that the Secretary of Defense Robert Gates had cashiered General Peter Pace as the Joint Chief of Staff and replace him with Adm. Michael G. Mullen. How's that for putting it into perspective?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users