Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Constantly Runs When Pwrmng Turns Off Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Pertinent information:

#Windows XP SP2

#Compaq Presario Laptop

#AVG Free

#ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 Free

#Screen Saver is turned off.

#A second monitor is connected to expand my desktop from the laptop screen to my old LCD monitor set above it.

Power Options Properties Settings:

Power Scheme: Portable/Laptop
When Computer is Plugged In...
Turn off Monitor - after 5 minutes
Turn off hard discs - after 3 hours
System standby - never

So I notice that after my Laptop Screen turns off (after 5 minutes of not doing anything), the hard drive light on my laptop seems to stay on constantly, until I move the mouse to turn the screen back on. At that point, the hard drive light will still stay on for about 5 seconds or so then go off and resume going on and off like "normal".

Any idea why the hard drive seems to be running non-stop when my screen turns off?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

You do have proof besides the activity light that the HDD is actually running? Such as vibrating or humming?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

You do have proof besides the activity light that the HDD is actually running? Such as vibrating or humming?

Thanks for the post! Okay, so I just tested this... When the screen turns off and the hard drive light comes on, I can hear some intermittent hard drive noise here and there (one second, then nothing for a few seconds or so, then one second, then nothing for maybe 5-10 seconds at most, then 1-2 seconds, etc.). So it's not as if I can hear the hard drive "writing" non-stop, it's more like that. However, the hard drive light stays on pretty much non-stop.

I thought I remembered that this was what it did when you use screen saver, which would make sense since it's calling up pictures from your hard drive (I used the screen saver where you direct it to a folder of pictures) -- though it's possible there was more of a "reading/writing" hard drive noise during that.

However, as stated, I have screen saver turned off.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users