Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Loading Thumbnails

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

It seems to take forever for the thumbnails to load when I open a folder with photos and the PC freezes while they're loading. It doesn't matter if the folder is on an internal HD, external HD, or from a flash card from the camera (SD). Everything else runs fine and I regularly scan for viruses and spyware and keep temp files cleaned up and defrag about once a month even though it says I don't need to.

Memory useage doesn't increase, but PCU useage goes to 100%. It takes 10 to 15 seconds to load the thumbs in the window then when I scroll it freezes to load the next row of thumbs, and not all thumbs load some are just red Xs.

PC info: Windows XP home, 2.5 Ghz P4 200 GB PATA Maxtor HD and 60 GB PATA Maxtor HD, 768 MB DDR RAM. nividia GeForce FX 5200 video card

Any suggestions?

Thanks Andrew

Edited by awg1011, 23 June 2007 - 09:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

Try putting your photos into sub-folders. The more photos you have (say in My Pictures) strung in sequence, the longer it will take to bring up the thumbs. Putting the long list of photos into subfolders (even by date if not theme) will shorten the time. Defragging will also help.
If you have many photos, an application like Picasa2 (free from Google) will speed things up.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

John, We already have all the photos in sub folders and sub-sub folders, it's just as slow even with folders with fewer than 10 photos. I'll look in to Picasa2, I've tried Nero PhotoSnap but it's also extremely slow at opening folders with photos and doesn't seem to have thumbnails.

Is it normal for windows to be slow at displaying thumbs?

Thanks, Andrew

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

I don't deal with image/thumbnail files much, but this might help. At "Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View (tab)", UNcheck "Do not cache thumbnails" (i.e., DO cache thumbnails). That might speed-up the display of thumbnails in all folders. You also have the ability to do this on a folder-by-folder basis, using "Tools, Folder Options..., View" in a particular folder.

The pop-up description of that checkbox option ("Do not cache thumbnails") is:

"Disables automatic storage of folder thumbnails in a cache file. When you store thumbnail images in a cache file, Windows can reuse them instead of creating new ones every time you open a folder. If you disable this automatic storage function, folders that contain thumbnails might take longer to open."

If this works, it may be that the first time you open such a folder, it will still be slow because Windows needs to create the thumbnail cache file initially. Subsequent openings of the same folder may be quicker.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

I suppose it depends on what you mean by slow. I tend to archive a lot of photos, which prevents some of the problems. How much RAM does your computer have?
Obviously the more thumbnails you have stored, the longer it takes to pull all of them up.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

John, I just timed a folder with 70 photos and it took 1 1/2 minutes to load the thumbs and not all loaded. I have 768 MB of DDR RAM. I recently added memory, I had 512 in 2 256 sticks and I added a 512 stick to make 1 GB, but one 256 stick didn't "play well" and had to come out (PC wouldn't boot). After adding the extra memory, there has been no difference in thumbnail loading though the computer in general is running faster.

I did what M said and unchecked the "Do not cache thumbnails" box, and now they load instantly after being opened once.
Is the thumbnail cache dumped after a reboot? When playing a game, it would be nice to not have memory tied up caching thumbs.

Thanks, Andrew

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

I would think that the excessive CPU utilization indicates that there was a problem (corruption) with the thumbnail cache - and AFAIK, it isn't cleared after a reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Andrew (awg1011),

Although the following seems to deal primarily with Vista:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms631833.aspx

a quote from the "Remarks" section near the top of that page talks about XP:

"In Windows XP, thumbnail caching is done on a per-folder basis, and the cache is maintained in a thumbs.db file within each folder."

#9 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

I would think that the excessive CPU utilization indicates that there was a problem (corruption) with the thumbnail cache - and AFAIK, it isn't cleared after a reboot.

How would I go about finding and fixing any cache problems or corruption?

Since un-checking the "Do not cache thumbnails" box, the thumbs do load instantly until I reboot, it seems that the cache is being cleared with rebooting.

Thanks, Andrew

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

If the cache is cleared on reboot, why would the problems return then? I'd still suspect corruption of some sort - but other than deleting the thumbs.db files manually I don't know of a way to do this automatically.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users