Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background Processes Interfering With Game Play

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voltairemutt

voltairemutt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

Anyone have any good tips on how I can prevent background processes (scans, updaters, etc.) from interfering with my game play. I usually do simulation games (auto racing, flying, etc.) When I'm playing in "stand alone" I can disconnect from the web, but this doesn't completely solve the problem - it can be very frustrating to be trying to pass an opponents car and then the bleeping thing stops dead!!! And of course when I'm on-line I don't want to disable my security software. Ideally, I need a way to ensure that the background processes don't just take over the system resources without warning. TNX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

Well, if software is performing scans while you're playing, you could set those programs to perform scans less frequently or try to set them to scan at a different time of day.

You can also use the task manager to close some programs that are causing slow down.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

You can use an application like Process Explorer to kill unneeded applications that interfere with game play. The link for this free application is found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/55/spyware-and-malware-removal-guides-and-reading-room/

You can use the StartupList tab here at BC to check to determine what you can kill.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 voltairemutt

voltairemutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

Thanks. I've killed some "junk" processes and closed all unnecessary programs before I set off on the next race/mission. I've also discovered that ZA Security Suite has a "Game Mode" which supposedly blocks notification interrupts and auto-updates, at least for ZA. Wish they were all that easy. Not the total solution that I'm looking for, but helpful.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

Something you might do to slightly accelerate gameplay is to give your game realtime priority in the task manager processes window. If you don't know what your game's processes are named, don't do it but it can be helpful.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users