Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Move Icons On Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

I have a new problem. I am running Windows XP home edition on an HP 5280 laptop with 1.5 meg of memory. I had installed a program called "Registry Cleaner 4.0" , and the icons were suddenly locked into their positions; I could not move the icons, and cannot insert a desktop icon into a desktop folder. The icons will launch their respective programs, and when right-clicked, the menu appears as it normally does. Thinking that the problem was with the new program, I then uninstalled it. The uninstall process appeared to proceed normally. However, after uninstalling, the icons remain "frozen", are unable to be moved, do respond to a right-click, open their respective programs, but cannot be moved with the cursor. Anybody got any ideas as to what to do? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:50 AM

Did they some how get put in "Auto arrange"? Right click on the desktop, look at Arrange Icons by and make sure the auto arrange is not checked. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

:thumbsup: Good idea, but it didn't work. The auto arrange icon wasn't checked. I even tried to uncheck the arrange to grid checkmark, and that made no difference. I'm at a loss, unless I use "restore", amd just forget about the Registry Cleaner program that I paid $30. for. Grrrr.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

Hi Dr. Dave,

Did you purchase Registry Cleaner 4.0 from Tucows Downloads?
They have limited time money back guarantee.

Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you are not 100% satisfied with your Registry Cleaner, simply contact us within 30 days for a full refund.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi Dr. Dave,

Did you purchase Registry Cleaner 4.0 from Tucows Downloads?
They have limited time money back guarantee.

Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you are not 100% satisfied with your Registry Cleaner, simply contact us within 30 days for a full refund.

:thumbsup: No, unfortunately I bought it directly from Zoombli (Yeah, I'd never heard of them either). I downloaded it, and it apparently worked fine (found some errors in the registry, fixed them, and everything worked fine). Then, I got a hard disk from them, thought I'd run it again, it found one additional error, and then froze up. That's why I'm considering "restore".

Edited by Dr. Dave, 25 June 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

If you right click desktop then properties, desktop tab, customize, then on the web tab there is a check box marked "lock desktop items". Make sure it is cleared.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#7 Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

If you right click desktop then properties, desktop tab, customize, then on the web tab there is a check box marked "lock desktop items". Make sure it is cleared.

Sorry; that's cleared also. Frustrating, ain't it?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:16 AM

You could try the following fixes from Kelly's Korner.

Enable/Disable Desktop Icons - #72 on the left.
Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

try using unlocker you can download it from here its surpriseling good

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users