Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do Many People Not Like America?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
483 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

Recently, I've come across a forum topic on another site where many members put down America and it's people. It starts out asking why Americans are so bad at geography, and in a few pages switches to why Americans in general are bad. Although they have many valid points, all can be applied to almost any country, so why pick on America? and not everyone in America is that bad or ignorant. Here's the link if your interested, but they use strong language so you are warned:

http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=6500...light=geography

I have also come across a video on Youtube ripped from a television episode talking about how the American education system is extremely flawed and not competitive like most other countries. Because of this, people are forced to send their kids to bad schools because of location. I found the video to be very illuminating, and it makes me glad I got out of the public school system and went to a charter school. Here's a link to the video, it's 40 mins long, but very good:

I'm anxious to hear other people's opinions on America and it's people. So what do you think of Americans? But let's not be insulting with any negative opinions, although I don't mind them. Give you reasons for any improvement we need.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:05 AM

It would be just like how many Americans think All germans get drunk for a good time. It's stereotyping, and America is such a well known country, therefore is a big target. Your asking for what do we need to improve because you read that other dont like America for various reasons. Maybe it's others who need to look beyond stereotypes ect. and see us for who we really are, maybe it's others who need some improvement.

Edited by ussr1943, 23 June 2007 - 01:06 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:14 AM

It would be just like how many Americans think All germans get drunk for a good time. It's stereotyping, and America is such a well known country, therefore is a big target. Your asking for what do we need to improve because you read that other dont like America for various reasons. Maybe it's others who need to look beyond stereotypes ect. and see us for who we really are, maybe it's others who need some improvement.

The movie "beerfest" has that stereotype about germans. And the fact that America is so well known, that it makes Americans a big target, makes sense.

Edited by solaris32, 23 June 2007 - 01:15 AM.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

That's right 'ussr1943' In your eyes,the rest of the World, seem Third World to Americans ,and we are the Dumb ones.

#5 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:48 AM

I don't quite understand what you said DSTM, could you possibbly rephrase for my sake.

thanks
-Ussr1943-

From what I'm understanding it's some sort of critizism on my comment, I'd like to apologize no I do not think the rest of the world is wrong but as with many of my posts I mean one thing but cannot put the right words to make that meaning come out correctly.
My point was that alot of people critizize America, and before you critizise someone else you should first critizise youself. ( I know I butchered the spelling and probably what ever phrase I'm trying to get accross, i hope you can put together what I mean.) There are , however, many good point other from outside our country can make good aguments of. But this hsouldn't mean they should disslike us/hate us.

Edited by ussr1943, 23 June 2007 - 01:58 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:25 AM

That's right 'ussr1943' In your eyes,the rest of the World, seem Third World to Americans ,and we are the Dumb ones.

I read your last line,felt it wasn't necessary.A knee Jerk reaction by me,and in hindsight I shouldn't have Posted.
You don't have to opologize for anything, 'ussr1943' :thumbsup:

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:29 AM

As an American, who has been overseas in the Navy, I have an opinon. Most the world see's us as @$$holes because all they see are the rich and pampered who can afford to jet over to where they want, the military who have base's in their country and most military are kids who go wild overseas, and the media which only puts out what gets ratings. Not always the truth, but factual. I don't have a real high opinion of some middle east countries, but all I have to go on is what I see in the news so I'm really not getting an unbiased view. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Oh, dear,

America isn't perfect and some folks don't like Americans.

I'm going to move to some other perfect country where everybody loves it's citizens.

I would appreciate it if the good folks of this board would recommend these countries

and I'm sure it is going to be a difficult decision selecting among them.

I think the answer to this thread's question will include all, or most, of the answers to the question:

"Why do many people not like people of another country?"

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

"Why do many people not like people of another country?"

Topic heading indicates America is the Country nominated for discussion.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

I understand that.

I still believe that the answer to this thread's question will include all, or most, of the answers to that question.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I think its cause they are jealous that there country isnt like ours.....

#12 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

I understand that.

I still believe that the answer to this thread's question will include all, or most, of the answers to that question.

Perhaps John, but America is a unique country like all the other countries, with it's own unique history, people, and place in the world (literally and metaphorically). While it could probably be found that many people just aren't too fond of many other countries besides their own, I want to know people's opinions strictly on America. Not only do I live in America, but many people have taken it upon themselves to single out America among the hundreds of countries, and pick on and make fun of us.

So what is everyone's opinion on this, or are you even one of the people who do make fun of America? If you are, don't be afraid to post why you don't like America, but please no insults.

#13 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

my opinionis it does'nt matter what country your from your always going to get people putting you down every country has its plus and negatives but as was stated earlier your country is so big it makes it easy prey
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

my opinionis it does'nt matter what country your from your always going to get people putting you down every country has its plus and negatives but as was stated earlier your country is so big it makes it easy prey

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Also, what many, if not most, non-Americans learn about the US is through the distorted and biased media of their country or region. Even in the US, our biased media distorts our perceptions of our country.

America is relatively large and extremely diverse. If I were to ask a first time visitor about his or her preconceived notions of the US, no matter what they were, I'm sure I could show them an America that exactly meets whatever they expected. The problem - it probably wouldn't be reflective of what America really is.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

America is a Super Power and the rest of the World watches closely your Actions and Inactions on the World Stage.
America is on the News Daily, and due to America being engaged in conflicks around the World,of course you are the centre of attention and scrutiny by other Countries. It is impossible to please all people all of the time.The media is to blame for a lot of the negative publicity,and one must look deeper into America's involment in World affairs to get the true picture. People from other Countries are too Quick to draw conclusions.IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users