Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet History Disappearing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 heyjude

heyjude

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hi, I've been reading thru many posts on this forum and finally decided to ask for help re my particular problem.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and IE6 and my history list is set to keep 21 days but just recently (last couple of weeks) I can only view my history for the current day I'm on computer. Previous days in the week are blank as is last week. I have run Spybot and it gives me a clean bill of health. I run CC Cleaner every now and then but have unchecked the 'history' box so that it doesn't remove files.

Any ideas? I would be glad of any assistance, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hi heyjude,

According to Micro$ofts Getting Back to Basics, the History folder is dynamic and URLs may disappear if left unvisited for long enough. The sites that you want to ensure are preserved should be saved as a Favorite (click the Favorites menu, and then select Add to Favorites).

More on this; Get more from Internet Explorer's Favorites and History
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 heyjude

heyjude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for your reply Tmack but my problem is that I can't even view yesterday's history when I click on it in the history list. All the previous days of the week including last week and 2 weeks ago are listed according to my preference for the days saved but when I click on them there is simply nothing there.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

It is possible the History folder may be corrupted.
You should be able to delete the folder; it will be re-created.
If you cannot delete it in Regular Mode, try Safe Mode.

In IE go to Tools/ Folder Options/ View/ Show Hidden Files and Folders, and you may also want to de-select "hide protected operating system files".
Do a Search for the History folder in this sub-file; \documents and settings\<profile name>\local settings\history
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users