Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Wizard Wants To Setup Unknown Hardware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babyboomer57

babyboomer57

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

I have a Dell dimension 2400 with Windows XP service pack 2. Now at boot-up I get a hardware wiazard attempting to install drivers for unknown hardware. I lauch the wizard and it finds nothing. I insert my Canon cd with drivers and it still finds nothing. Under Printers my printer is on lpt1, online and the default printer. Under device manager it shows 4 unknown devices in yellow with yellow ? marks.

I have disabled and deleted these and they comeback each time the hardware wizard runs. The com1 and ecp printer 1 devices all show that they are working properly. I have deleted and attempted to reinstall software drivers . The installation process halts when the system attempts to ping the printer and determines that there is no connection between the desktop and the printer. I have rebooted the system and printer. I have checked the cable.

I have tried using all of the usb ports on the pc. I have swapped the cable out and tried a new cable. Bottom line Windows says that the com and lpt ports are working. I have checked connections. Is my controller card shot and windows doesn't realize that its dead. Or is there a registry issue since I had this spyware trojan virus. Any ideas? I have the answer for getting rid of the spy crusher virus if you are infected with the spycrusher Virus malware.

The same hardware wizard routine kicks off for the hardware wizard whether or not the printers are connected or not. I have stopped and restarted the spooler as well.

I'm Stuck on a treadmill! (just lkie the TV commercial).

Babyboomer57

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

You might want to look at the Device Manager to see what type of device it is listed under. To access this follow these instructions:

Right Click MY COMPUTER
Select PROPERTIES
Click HARDWARE tab
Select DEVICE MANAGER
See what the Device Manager recognizes the device as.
Go to Dell.com and seach up the drivers for your computer.

If nothing else works, try installing all the drivers, Windows will tell you if the driver will work or not. Good luck and post results plz.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Try this free utility to get an idea of what these devices might be: http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

MS KB article on this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244601
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users