Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

I just heard of a problem from a friend. He put some older ram into his computer (it may have been ddr, and he might have ddr2 in his system already. . .I haven't actually looked at the machine myself yet), booted, and then got nothing showing up on the monitor. So, he took the ram out and returned everything to its original spots, and now when he boots, the machine doesn't post (to my understanding). Here's the interesting part: now, he says all the fans in the case run faster than normal, and the ram heats up quickly. He has a recent model of low range compaq. I'll try to check out the machine myself soon to clear up the information, but any ideas so far? I'm thinking he either messed up his motherboard or the ram. Also, maybe he staticed something inside the case. . .I really have no idea.

Thanks,
-Ivan

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Educated guess, bad power supply.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

Yeah, my thoughts as well, but why would this only happen after putting in a stick of ram? He must have messed up something else when moving stuff around in there. . .I'll have more info tomorrow.

Posted Image

#4 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

Happened to a freind of mine, actually the PSU overheated and caught fire as scary as that is, only because of a change in ram.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

Changing the RAM shouldn't have any effect on the PSU unless there was a short created in the process, otherwise it's probably a coincidence.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Alright thanks for the ideas, I'm heading over in a little while, hopefully I'll be able to fix it with parts I have lying around because I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow =/

Edit: Ok everything is fine, he broke the stick of ram when he put it in or something, because part of the conductive (pins? don't know what to call them) things were broken off, a new stick of ram fixed it up fine. Can close the topic if you want.

Edited by T, 23 June 2007 - 01:59 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users