Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Did My Laptop Go On Battery While Plugged In?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

So here's another weird thing my laptop just did...

I just noticed that my power icon in the systray says that my battery is charging. However, my computer has been plugged in nonstop. But for some reason it must have started running on battery and got down to 95%. So now it's charging. But it's been on all morning on A/C (haven't run on battery in weeks).

I did not lose power and my A/C cable did not come unplugged...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

The battery is always charging, As for showing 95% when It should be 100% try running the battery down and recharging it. If your going to leave it on AC all the time you should remove the battery (this I believe is the consensus that was reached on the forums I could be wrong) A quick Google search revealed that you should store the battery at 40% charge.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

Wow, I didn't know that -- thanks! But I don't have a UPS, so my battery is kind of working as that (for now). I'll hopefully get a UPS soon and then store the battery as described. :flowers:

I got my laptop in February and have only used the battery once in a great while (the full charge a couple times watching stuff on an airplane). When they say don't leave it in for long periods of time... how long do you think they mean?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

The battery is always charging, As for showing 95% when It should be 100% try running the battery down and recharging it.

Hope you're still there...? I had a question about this...

So you don't think it was a matter of my computer suddenly going to running on battery (which I never noticed by the icons in the systray, but maybe I just didn't notice), but just that the battery itself "drained" down to 95% then the recharge kicked in? But wouldn't it have started "recharging" at 99% if it was draining?

Also, what's the best way to drain the battery completely and recharge? Doesn't the computer shut off once it's down to a certain percent? And I wouldn't want my computer to just run until it was out of juice and kick off while not actually shutting down, right?

So is there a proceedure for this? I couldn't really find one...

Thanks!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

Why or how the battery got to 95% I am not totally sure. completely draining the battery isn't necessary just when your using it unplug it from the AC cord every once in awhile, and unless your prone to power outages or brown outs in the summer running without a battery shouldn't be a problem. However if you have allot of sensitive data, and you have allot of work on the computer leaving the battery in until you get a UPS would be a better choice. Laptop batteries are pretty sturdy and they take allot of abuse there designed that way. Other more experienced laptop tech's and owners may have more advise.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 June 2007 - 01:22 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

I'm thinking I might keep this battery in and use it as a UPC of sorts, then get another battery as my official laptop battery...

So if I'm just unplugging it from the A/C while I'm using it, how far should I let the battery get down before I plug the A/C back in and let it charge back up to 100% again?

Anyone else have any idea why/how it got down to 95% while still plugged in then started charging?

Thanks!

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

You could let it get as low as when it warns you to plug it in.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

Will do. Thanks.

#9 darloma

darloma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

Sounds like you have the same problem that I have been reading about for 4 months now. However, all the posts AS well AS my laptop, the drain goes all the way to 0% (none of us noticed the discharging going on). What I have finally figured out to be the problem is the recepticle into which the AC is plugged. Many of the posts were replied with funny things to do to solve the problem, however none actually worked for all, and those who thought the funny fixes worked reposted again later saying the problem was back. These fixes were things like: take battery out, put in freezer, reinsert; get new battery; get new AC cord; call the manufacturer of your laptop. My laptop is 2 years old and this problem started about 4 months ago. My problem is also extremely intermittent = happening every week or two.....not daily. So two days ago when it happened again, I gently wiggled the cord's plug (the end that goes into the laptop) and immediately got the charging light to come back on. So, I am thinking that the recepticle is where the real problem lies. I actually bought a new battery because I had not discharged my original battery like one should, and it is only good for about an hour. The new battery made by Technuity, a division of Energizer, does NOT require discharging EVER, and I bought it on eBay for $30. It sells for around $120 online. Love it, lasts for 4-6 hours depending on how you have your power set. Anyway, check the recepticle into which the battery plugs. Haven't had the problem again, yet.......but do plan to have it checked (maybe!) by a local repair guy I have heard about. I had tried the fix mentioned that said to remove battery, shut down laptop, reincert battery, reboot.........but didn't work. So, again, two days ago I just moved the plug a little, and immediately worked. I also looked at the little pin in the hole and it seems to be a little loose? and I don't think it should be? So, check your pin. Just be gentle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users