Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed For Wiping Hd And Start Fresh

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hello everyone :flowers:

I am now ready to say goodbye to XP and hello to Vista. I've been preparing for over 2 months by carefully researching all of my current software apps and hardware drivers and their behaviour with the new OS. I burned some CD's of all the drivers and software executibles I need once Vista is installed.

However, before I install Vista, I want to completely wipe my hard drive with zeros or whatever..., delete, create, and format partitions.

I have backed up everything I need to, but I need help into which order I should do the following tasks:

Should I wipe the drive first with a specific utility or delete partitions first? What programs do you recommend?

What partitioning, formatting program (other than the one on the Vista DVD) do you recommend?

Also, I will need access to the CD-ROM drive to swap discs after I perform these tasks. Will the CD-ROM drive eject and close after the drive is wiped and XP is erased or will I need a floppy boot disk with CD-ROM support?

Currently I have the following Floppies and ISO's burned.

1) Ultimate Boot CD
2) Partition Logic (Floppy image)
3) MS-DOS boot disk created within XP with the "Format" command.

What should I use and it what order? Please guide me up to the point where I'm ready to format my partitions and install Vista.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Also, I will need access to the CD-ROM drive to swap discs after I perform these tasks. Will the CD-ROM drive eject and close after the drive is wiped and XP is erased or will I need a floppy boot disk with CD-ROM support?

I haven't made the VISTA jump yet, so I'll let others voice their strategies. The VISTA CD, like XP, is bootable. You have to enter the BIOS and make the CD drive the first boot device, insert the Vista CD, exit the BIOS and reboot and installation should start.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

I would suggest allowing Vista to format your drive before installing - that will wipe everything off of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

The UBCD has several drive wiping tools:

Darik's Boot and Nuke
CopyWipe
Active@ KillDisk
PC INSPECTOR
HDDErase

You could boot your computer with the UBCD and use one of these tools to wipe the drive. Then boot with the Vista CD and proceed with the install.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

A format only removes the address talbles of the files, wiping the drive with a utility like Kill Disk or Wipe Drive is the best way to go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

Since you want "to completely wipe my hard drive with zeros or whatever...,"

I would second Budapest's advice.

Otherwise, since it is your computer and will be used by you, usasma's suggestion will work perfectly fine.

However, you won't get that "fresh wiped" feeling.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

This is worth reading.

It gets confusing when you have two different people telling you what to do, but in this case either reformatting or wiping the hdd will work. The difference is that if you have any suspicion that you have any infections wiping the hdd will eliminate that problem. I always like to wipe that hdd so that I have a completely clean start. Kill Disk is free, and Wipe Drive has a free trial you can download.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2007 - 10:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

Wow, thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

So, I think the UBCD is everything I need.

Since you want "to completely wipe my hard drive with zeros or whatever...,"

I would second Budapest's advice.

I think that's what I'll do, thanks Budapest.

One last question. Should I check the HD for errors before or after I wipe the drive? Will wiping the drive get rid of any errors anyway? Or, would I need to check for bad sectors before I install VISTA?

I assume a "Chkdsk" or "Scandisk" utility is found on the UBCD? Or do I need to search for a bootable disk with Chkdsk or scandisk support?

Thanks again! :flowers:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

Test the drive after you wipe it. The UBCD has many hard disk diagnostic tools (it's best to use the one that matches your drive manufacturer):

Drive Fitness Test (IBM/Hitachi)
Diagnostic Tool (Fujitsu)
SeaTools for DOS (Seagate/Maxtor)
SHDIAG (Samsung)
HUTIL (Samsung)
DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital)
Data Lifeguard (Western Digital)
SCSIMax (Maxtor/Quantum)
GWSCAN (Gateway)
ESTest (ExcelStor)
Salvation HDD Scan and Repair
MHDD32
ViVARD
HDAT2
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users