Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing "CID Help"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isakei

isakei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hi I'm new here and I'm a bit of a computer dunce :thumbsup:
I recently discovered CiD Help and i tried removing the "program" through the Control Panel.
Unfortunately, when i click the "Change/Remove" button, a suspicious window appears saying:
"To verify you are a human and not a computer script, please type the 7 numbers you see above" and an UNINSTALL button right beside it.
I decided not to type anything in the suspicious window and instead tried to follow the instructions in this forum.
I've scanned the PC with ad-aware and spybot but the CiD Help is still there.
What should I do? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

There are many malware applications that will allow you to uninstall them using this method. The letter/number thing is just a verification/scare tactic.

The norton removal tool uses the same for bonafide reasons.

if this program was installed bundled with something else, that other program may stop functioning. IMO, programs that wont work without malware/adware tied in are not needed on any computer.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 isakei

isakei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

There are many malware applications that will allow you to uninstall them using this method. The letter/number thing is just a verification/scare tactic.

The norton removal tool uses the same for bonafide reasons.

Thank you for your reply ^_^
So does that mean the window that pops up is safe and I can enter the number/letter thing and it will uninstall?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:34 PM

That window is the uninstaller start, it should be safe.

Just be sure to input correctly, dont forget case sensitivity. Most programs with this uninstall without a hitch. There is some malware out there that removes the entry in add/remove, but leaves all files on the hdd, and continues to run after a restart.

Let us know your results.

#5 isakei

isakei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:21 AM

Okay. I uninstalled it, restarted the computer and checked the add/remove programs folder and it wasn't there anymore.
I also used the windows search to look for it and it didn't pick up anything.

However, Before when I didn't know that CiD Help was a malware, I used the windows search engine to look for the file to see what it was.
It didn't show up in the results page either.

Is there any other way to determine if the CiD Help files are still in the hdd? :thumbsup:

#6 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

Have you tried scanning your computer?

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

I am not sure if it is malware, the removal method it used is used by lots of malware. do the sas scan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users