Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Setup Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zyxstand

zyxstand

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hey guys new here,
I'm trying to get my computers on the same network so I can, for example, use remote desktop or simply just file sharing between them. They're both XP pro and are both connected to a router through wireless connection. Both are assigned static IP addresses but they don't seem to respond to each other at all. Also, they both have internet access so I assume my wireless connection is setup correctly. Unfortunately only one computer can ping (the other gets a cmd error which I've tried fixing but seems not worth it). The computer that can ping doesn't get any replies from the other computer. I ran the "set up a home or small office network" on both computers and typed in the same workgroup name. Each computer only sees itself in it. However there is a third computer (connected with cable to same router) which is the "printer computer" and the other two computers can print through it. Firewalls are all turned off and I still can't connect the two computers. What could be wrong?! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

What is the particular reason you are using static IP addresses?

#3 zyxstand

zyxstand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

By static i mean that the router applies the static addresses and not that the computer requests for them. I like to keep things organized so I always know which computer had what IP address. Basically the main one (the third one) is 192.168.0.100 and the two I'm trying to connect are 192.168.0.102 and 192.168.0.105

#4 zyxstand

zyxstand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

okay managed to get some things working:
First let's assign names: I have MY main computer which connects wirelessly to the router, then there's my old computer in my room also wireless connection. They're called computer A and B respectively. Then there's the one downstairs by the modem and router connected to the LAN with a cable - computer C. All have internet access. I managed to get them all on the same network workgroup (called Homework) and they can all see each other. I can access files (and printer) on computer C through A and B, however A and B can't access each other. Pinging also works only from A to C and B to C (both ways). I can remote desktop from A to C and from B to C (C being the host in both cases). My main goal is to be able to get remote desktop and file sharing to work between A and B now. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

#5 zyxstand

zyxstand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

well i guess nvm then
I gave my router a factory restore and had more problems with it. It wouldn't get an IP address for a while but after 30 mins of just messing with it and contemplating and questioning the modem's functionality, the modem finally received and IP (or perhaps better stated "finally told the router it had one") and now everything's back to normal. Remote desktopping and file sharing works between all three computers perfectly. Now I'm off to setup my laptop to join in on the partey. Thnx for all the help! ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users