Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fragmentation- Overrated Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sweaden

sweaden

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

I came across this writeup which talks abt defragging as a myth. At our firm we are able to work more efficiently and without problems like dataloss in the event of disk crashes, or just plain lagging which are i believe undoubtedly a result of fragmentation. ( considering that all else is checked to be fine with the systems). Even for users who dont use 'disk intensive programs', like on my home system i find the drive gets pretty fragmented just by browsing, downloading the usual music, movies etc. Isnt fragmentation definitely something to be tackled with seriously? I would love to hear what you guys think.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 June 2007 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

This one again???

I had a friend that was complaining about her computer being so much slower than it use to be, I asked her when was the last time that she defragged the hdd, she gave me that what in the world are you talking about look and I knew it had never been done. I loaded Diskeeper Lite and let it run, it took almost an hour to complete, my friend was pleasantly surprised at how fast her computer was running after that. Yes, defragmenting the hdd definitely is something that should be done on a regular basis.

There have been questions as to whether or not defragging the hdd is harmful to it, no it is not.

Enough said. :thumbsup:

btw...welcome to BC.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

I find ->THIS<- article to explain it very well....
"Imagine a large library of books arranged in volumes. Also imagine that the librarian for this particular library re-shelves the books in a way which moves the individual books in the volumes further apart from each other. As more books are added to library, the further apart and more mixed up the books in the volumes become. Now imagine that you come to the library and want to check out an entire volume of books. You would have to search all over the library to find each individual book in the volume that you want. In computer terms, what is happening when the individual books are re-shelved in this way is called fragmenting, and this is what happens to your computer as you install programs, download files, or just use your computer in general.

When running programs that contains hundreds of files, fragmenting can degrade the performance of your computer. As the clusters of files on your hard drive become fragmented, they grow further apart and it takes longer for your computer to find and assemble all the pieces necessary to run the programs. This is where defragmenting comes in. It rearranges the files on your hard drive so they are back in order, which cuts down on access latency (the time it takes to access your files). It is as if the library has hired a new librarian who goes through and arranges the books so that the volumes are intact and contiguous. This would greatly reduce the time it takes to find whole volumes or individual books in those volumes."

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

I run mine maybe once every two months or at the most once a month. Makes a difference.

This topic reminds me I was going to do it last week but forgot.

#5 sweaden

sweaden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

dc3: have personally experienced slowdowns on my system, when i've not done my disk maintenance. well. And even if one gets used to the lag, there are still other problems which crop up, eventually the drive just gets so cluttered and theres not even min space reqd for a defrag.Its like falling sick, not doing anything abt it till it gets grave.
jwinathome:Thats a clear article explaining what fragmentation is all about. makes good sense as to what its implications can be.
Thanks 4 the replies.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

What you are describing as being too cluttered to defrag is not just a problem of defraging. The hdd would have to be so full that there wouldn't be enough room for swap space, this hdd would be in trouble because of that alone.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:24 PM

while we're on this topic, what defrag programs do you prefer? Standard winblows defrag or some other one?

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:43 AM

I tried Ashampoo Magical Defrag trial version and ended up buying it for around US$5. It runs in the background and continually defrags when the way is clear for it to do this. My HDD is never fragmented.

Defragging is one of the hardest jobs a HDD can do, which is why some people do it very infrequently. But then when it has to be done, it is such a lengthy and intensive task that it has to be pretty rough on the drive. I prefer that it be done as part of normal operations.

Like everything else, there are pros and cons.

rowal5555 (Rob ) † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †† † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:56 AM

I've been using IObit SmartDefrag and find it to be good. You can set it to work automatically in the background but I prefer to do periodic manual defrags. Best of all it's free.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Les50

Les50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:44 AM

Iíve been using System Mechanic. I like having all Maintenance controls in one program.

#11 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

Do these work with Vista? I've used the new one a few times, and it runs for ages and then suddenly stops. It doesn't provide me with any info if it was successful, or what has changed...meh!
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#12 Les50

Les50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

Looks like System Mechanic will http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kbarticle.aspx?id=KBA-01865
I've been using it with xp and have had no problems. I would search the reviews before I download it though. You may find something you like better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users