Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Build Wont Boot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roadkill62

Roadkill62

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hello I am new to this forum but not to building systems. I recently built an AMD 64 system .I upgraded from Athlon XP 2700 barton system here are system hardware details

Asus A8V-XE mobo
NVIDIA 7800 video card (pci-E )
AMD athlon64 3800+ socket 939
Maxtor 80gb IDE udma 133 hard drive

Raidmax smilodon Case with 550w power supply

So here is my dilemma I put all this together. The HDD is from my old pc It has Win XP PRO sp2 and all updates
already installed. I also used a 512mb stick of pc3200 ram from my old setup as new mb uses this type of slot.

I read the manual put memory stick in proper slot for single channel operation.checked all BIOS settings all hardware shows up in bios menu correctly. I turned off quick boot and the memory test before boot shows ok.

Now then It starts to boot fine then just a second or 2 after win XP boot screen logo pops up I get a BSOD flash but it restarts too fast to see what the error is.

I have read other posts at other sites about this happening to others and it seems like a possible ram compatability issue.
So I have found the compatable ram list at ASUS website and will try that Unless anyone here has a better Idea
I cannot think of anything else it could be at this time.

I will wait to buy & install SATA Drive until I know this thing will boot up otherwise I will RMA so any suggestions are appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Roadkill62, 22 June 2007 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

Dont RMA you should do a repair install of XP here is a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

XP is reading the wrong motherboard and then getting a hardware mismatch which gives you the BSOD, generating the restart.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Roadkill62

Roadkill62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

I tried the repair option and let it auto run it copied new files to drive then when it rebooted I got same deal windows logo boot screen came on and poof in a millsecond after that bsod pops up for a split second and restarts.
tried it again just keeps restarting so its off to the PC store going 2 try new memory if not that I guess its format and clean install time.

Edited by Roadkill62, 22 June 2007 - 02:36 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

I tried the repair option and let it auto run it copied new files to drive then when it rebooted I got same deal windows logo boot screen came on and poof in a millsecond after that bsod pops up for a split second and restarts.
tried it again just keeps restarting so its off to the PC store going 2 try new memory if not that I guess its format and clean install time.

the amd64's onboard memory controller and the asus A8v are real picky with bios settings for the ram

try relaxing the timings and entering manually
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Roadkill62

Roadkill62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

I thought of that too so I reduced from 200 to 166 mhz fsb for ram and still got the same results :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

some of the older cas 3 3200 ram probably won't even run to specs

My Asus A8v deluxe wouldn't even boot up with premium geil and auto settings

Edited by DaChew, 23 June 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Chewy

#7 Roadkill62

Roadkill62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

I got the problem solved I went to website and found compatabile RAM installed 1GB stick of PNY RAM set FSB back to normal defaults and formatted the hard drive reinstalled XP SP2.............All is running fine.
The pc case I purchased has several fans and everything is running cool.Even running HL2 and Fs 2004 with settings maxed out

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

formatted the hard drive reinstalled XP SP2

:thumbsup: :flowers:

been there and done that too many times
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users