Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needing Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pagntcrzy

Pagntcrzy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:49 AM

What browser do I use? I have no idea!! Here is the problem. I go to pull up my yahoo mail and a page briefly flashes that says "cannot direct to new URL because of browser settings" then my mail page comes up. I can see my mail, but I can't delete, reply, forward. . .it's like the buttons won't work. I just had this tower in the shop yesterday for new virus protection and clean up and they said it was fixed. YEAH RIGHT!! I have over 600 emails I can't get rid of plus when I try to onto other websites, it's like the buttons I click on won't work. PLEASE HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

Try using Mozilla's Firefox browser. I use it all the time except when i need to update my windows stuff.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 Pagntcrzy

Pagntcrzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:29 AM

What in the name of all that's holy, does that mean? I have no idea what a firewall is, let alone a Mozilla!! Please just tell me what buttons to push to fix this or to get to a "firewall". Thanks!!!

#4 Pagntcrzy

Pagntcrzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

I thought this was an online help board. I can't even get into the chat board because of my browser. PLEASE can anyone help?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:41 PM

XP FIREWALL:
Start / Control Panel / Network And Internet Connections / Network Connections / right click your network connection / Properties / Advanced tab

Setting Security options to default:
IE / click Tools / Internet Options / Security tab / Internet icon / Default Level button / Apply / OK
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/index.html

Yes, BC is an online help board, Pgntcrzy.
Clicking on the link provided above will take you to the home page, and the bright green panel off to the right will allow you to download a new browser.

Firefox.

Install it and you'll have an alternative to use,
in addition to Internet Explorer.

You will be given an opportunity to allow Firefox to run as your default browser.
I'd suggest you allow that, at least initially to try it out.

To get into chat rooms like the one here, requires a little more.
Firefox is the "lightweight" version of Mozilla.
Mozilla is built upon the Open Source code that Netscape was developed using.

In plain language, it's different than the code Microsoft owns & uses for IE.
So, it doesn't "act" the same way IE does.
Different (fewer) vulnerabilities to malicious program authors (malware/spyware/virus promoters.)

Settings used in an alternative browser will not effect those in the IE browser
which is tightly woven into the structure of the Windows Operating System.

IE uses ActiveX for utilizing small downloaded programs, called "applets".
Little limited use applications or what also are called programs

Mozilla has a built in program for IRC (Internet Chat Relay)
Firefox does not. (it's lighter-weight, remember)

To experience nearly unlimited functionality when surfing online,
since many websites require these small "applets" to make them work right,
you must also download another, larger, program.

It's called Java Runtime Environment.
Once that program is installed, the "reading" of Java programs will be done
instantly, much like the IE "reads" activeX.

It also will mean the Windows Operating System
that has a version of Java decoding
that Microsoft bought the rights to use from Sun, Java's creators,
built in to it...
will gain enhanced functionality.
You would disable the built in Microsoft Java
and make the new (improved) Java Runtime Environment default.

Firefox or Mozilla (it's "big brother) are both good options to consider using.
Instead of IE, even though IE remains on your PC.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/
This link explains and would allow you to choose Mozilla, instead of Firefox.

This link is to Sun Java's latest program.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

So,
two downloads,
two installations,
a trial & error period
FREE forever, alternative BROWSER with many benefits
you may learn to use.
Customize.

I hope this helps explain your options.
When facing IE idiosyncrasies we often suggest
using them.
To make sure the problem is IE
not something else.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thats a bummer that it was just in shop and totaly wont work. Did you get to talk with the dude?...show him problem? He probably yessed you to death...ran some standard sweep [maybe even reinstalled a registry] and charged ya 20 bucks. Prolly not gonna do it? Was it a corprate chain...stay away from those places...they never let you see what there doing or anything like that...however...they can be good resouces for quick fixes. If your polite enough and you heckel them enough...theyll just tell ya what to do sometimes [i locked myself outa my comp once and all i had to do was pop a battery out and walla...took some prodding though].

Anyway if you havent already, download and install these...I dont know the addresses...just google search...they will come up.

ADaware SE [SE is new...if you got old adaware...uninstall first then dl and install SE]
Spy Sweeper [this ones great...really finds all the junk on your computer].

I also got Spywareblaster [read about this one...i got it...but not sure what its doin or how to use...the other two are pretty easy].

Also gotta scan at least twice [i do it daily now anyway]...scan it once then restart and do it after you try this. rightclik My computer/ properties/ system restore tab The system restore should be on when the box isnt checked. Check the box to disable it then scan again. Enable it after the scan is done and walla. Probably gonna get rid a the popup thats derailing you browser function. I use IE personally. I got no third party cooki allowed....prompts me every time.

One last thing...be real careful what you clik on...probably 95 % of sites wanna jam your computer up bad...I even caught cnn tryin to put some sht on my comp. Some sites need the cookies...you can either just reenable them or clik accept cookie for that site when it comes up. -Joe

#8 Pagntcrzy

Pagntcrzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I DOWNLOADED THE FIREFOX AND I'M USING THAT BROWSER. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE OTHER BROWSER, BUT ATLEAST I CAN GET INTO MY EMAILS AND MY ETAX SITES AND GET MY INCOME COMING IN AGAIN.

THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users