Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Source Of Heavy Graphic Lag In Gaming!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AmberLynn

AmberLynn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook dv8040us (Yeah, I know shoot me already, I've had nothing but problems with the company itself and the computers). Up until recently, I've had NO problems running games like World of Warcraft smoothly and honestly above average. About two months ago for no apparent reason I was forced to reduce all of my games settings (draw distance, terrain detail, etc.) to the lowest possible just to function, as the characters and camera angle moved like they were in a STROBE LIGHT.

First off, this is NOT a problem with the game software itself, although maybe some sort of incompatibility with something that has changed in my computer? The frustrating part is nothing was really changed directly prior to the new problem. To try to fix things myself, I did all the typical idiot-proof solutions. I did a few system recoveries, going all the way back for months. I've done a complete reinstall of windows, to make sure something wasn't just funky. I updated (and downgraded to past versions, just to check) all my drivers for my graphic card and processor. I suspect if it IS a hardware issue, it's one of these two? I did the same for DirectX.

How EXACTLY do I test to see if this is a hardware or software issue? I've been looking around for some sort of benchmark but honestly this is over my head and I'm not sure where to start. Is there any sort of program I can run that will pull out some data that I can post here to be interpreted, or will inform me what parts of my computer are not functioning properly? Also, the last time this computer WAS in for repairs, it was there to replace my headphone jack (someone broke it off). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that integrated with my motherboard? They said something about having to replace the entire motherboard because of it, but honestly they don't' give very detailed reports upon returning my computer. This is yet another reason I think it may be a hardware issue, because they WERE poking around and changing things in it prior (not directly prior, though) to this issue.

Specs:
Running Windows XP
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Please let me know anything more I can provide or explain in order for someone to help! I know if I send it to HP they won't even figure out the problem, or fix it, and if they do they will probably say it's not under warranty so I'd better figure out the problem for myself before I go paying for someone to fix something, eh?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AmberLynn

AmberLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

*bump*

If anyone could give at least a suggestion on where to turn... I'm at the end of my ropes. Is there no way a non-computer technician can run a diagnostic on her computer to see if/what portions of her hardware are malfunctioning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users