Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Make A Recovery Disc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FITTER1

FITTER1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

What software should I use to create a retail system type recovery disc. One that after a reformat, I can have my system back as if nothing ever happened.
including the OS .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hi FITTER1 and Welcome to BC!

You might want to look at Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image 10 Home creates the exact copy of your hard disk and allows you to instantly restore the entire machine including operating system, applications, and all the data in the event of a fatal system crash or virus attack no reinstallations required!

You just have to image the whole system, then whenever you feel like reformatting or in case of system crash. Just image it back. Unfortunately, this is not a freeware. You only have 15 days trial.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

While I prefer Acronis True Image for my needs, There are freeware applications available for this. Most commonly you can get a utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to do this. Other programs will be listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 FITTER1

FITTER1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Thank You,

Thank you so much, With teenage girls who constintly go where they shouldn't go on the web, I need to recover about three or four times a year
Again thank you
Fitter1 :thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

Thank you so much, With teenage girls who constintly go where they shouldn't go on the web, I need to recover about three or four times a year

ROFL, that made my day, that was so hilarious.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:40 PM

If your computer is and HP, Compaq, Sony or Acer, there is a program built in when it comes from the factory. Gateway and Emachines come with the OS CD, which is the actual recovery disc. On those you can also make an applications and drivers DVD/CD(s). If you have a brand name system, let us know and we will try to get you the correct information. All of those brands, and Dell also have a recovery partition, so you dont have to use the discs unless the HDD fails.

Edited by oldf@rt, 22 June 2007 - 11:42 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

Thank You,

Again thank you
Fitter1 :thumbsup: :flowers:

To quote a friend of mine " Girls should be buried when they're thirteen and dug back up when they're twenty-six"
Mark - father of 2 of the precious gems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

To quote a friend of mine " Girls should be buried when they're thirteen and dug back up when they're twenty-six"
Mark - father of 2 of the precious gems

I am the father of three daughters(and two sons) Caught my middle daughter trying to sneak out. Told her she "you are grounded and no dates until you reach menopause".
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

ROFL, that made my day, that was so hilarious.

Makes me glad that I've got teenaged boys! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

If your computer is and HP, Compaq, Sony or Acer, there is a program built in when it comes from the factory. Gateway and Emachines come with the OS CD, which is the actual recovery disc. On those you can also make an applications and drivers DVD/CD(s). If you have a brand name system, let us know and we will try to get you the correct information. All of those brands, and Dell also have a recovery partition, so you dont have to use the discs unless the HDD fails.

And if you do have those manufacturers recovery discs or recovery partitions, every time you reinstall it's going to put your computer back to factory original and then you'll have to go through putting back all the programs you installed after that. Plus, how old are those recovery discs? Do they have programs on them you never use anymore?

Here's what I'd do.

FIRST: Before using the recovery discs or partition, backup all your personal data, emails, favorites, my pictures, etc to cd.

After recovery, uninstall all the pre-loaded bloat you don't use anymore. Make sure you've got your preferred antivirus and firewall program installed. Make sure all your hardware drivers are working and your printer is set up. Then go to Microsoft and get your patches and service packs as current as possible.

My personal preference is to also install and use a registry cleaner after I've got everything set up.

Then run check disk and do a defrag. Now what you've got is the equivalent of a pristine Microsoft OS plus basic protection with your antivirus and firewall, without all the pre-installed manufacturer's software programs.

I need to back up a bit. Before you do the recovery, install Acronis or whatever you prefer. I think they all have some kind of boot disk that you can create so that you can use the program without it being installed. I use a Ghost 2003 boot disk. Everything I need to make and restore an image is on the boot disk.

Now, to make the image. After I've done all that preparation above, I fire up the Ghost boot disk and make an image of my clean, fresh Microsoft OS. Be sure to verify that image so you don't get a nasty surprise later on when you try to use it. Now put it away in a safe place.

Next, I get busy installing my favorite basic software. The stuff I use all the time. Don't browse. Don't do anything on your computer yet.

Now, do the prep for another image again. Reg Clean and check disk. Defrag might not be necessary unless you've installed some big software programs like Office. Make this image and verify it. Now put that one away in a safe place too.

What you have now are two basically "clean" recovery discs. The first one is almost like buying a brand new disc from Microsoft. The second one is one step better because it saves you the time reinstalling all your favorite software from scratch. In most cases, they are suitable to install on a brand new hdd or computer, unless anything in them is tied to the BIOS, like Dell often does.

Note: Creating a slipstreamed OS installation disc is another way of accomplishing all that but it's beyond my talents. This method works fine for me and still saves hours of work.

Ok. Now you're ready to start using your computer again. You can restore your emails, my pictures and your data that you backed up. You should pretty well be back where you started, only better. But make another image before you start browsing and stuff.

Then make another one... every week, every two weeks, or once a month...whatever suits your preferences and how you use your computer. These are the images you will use when your daughters screw it up. You will never be more than a few weeks or a few days from getting back to where you were before. And if you make those regular data backups too, you'll never be more than a few hours from getting back to where you were.

I've done this on my kids' and grandkid's HP's and Compaq's. At least the first two images anyway. Keeping current backups is their job.

Edited by mommabear, 24 June 2007 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users