Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipod Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 srossi

srossi

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

I have a brand new iPod Nano (less than a month old) and iTunes (as well as "My Computer") no longer recognizes it when I plug it into the USB. It worked fine the first 3 or 4 times. I don't believe there can be anything wrong with the connections because my iPod still charges when it's plugged in. I ran iTunes' Diagnostic Check and got a "Failed" message for "iPod Connection Status". I already deleted and reloaded iTunes per their instructions but it didn't help. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hi srossi and welcome to BC !

As you have no doubt discovered iPod has it's own dedicated help pages, and while the information is useful, there is a lot to sift through. From my experience your issue is not a new one as my 60GB iPod suffers from this sort of thing continuously and has done from the time i got it.

First things first, you need to check the basics, as the fact your nano is charging is only due to it recognising a power source at the USB hub. If you have any files on the nano you wish to save before reformatting it, simply go into control panel, folder options, view tab, and check the selection box that says "Show hidden files or folders".
With your nano attached, go to my computer, right click on it's icon, and select "explore". From there simply copy and paste any files you wish to save.

Update everything related to itunes, there has been a new release of it lately, and check for updates for your iPod software. Double check that the USB port you are using for the nano hasn't failed, try plugging a printer into it and see if it gets recognised, or perhaps try downloading some images from a digital camera. Either way this step should show up any fault the USB may or may not be having.

Open Itunes and delete your iPod from it's listings on the left, make sure the option for the iPod to open iTunes upon connection is NOT selected in either the iTunes options or your iPod software.

Now wipe the nano using the iPod software you have updated, DO NOT have iTunes open during any of this, unplug the iPod, open iTunes, plug in the iPod and let the automated process take place that recognises the iPod. Rename it, don't use the same name as this may ( or may not, have never been able to tell ) give iTunes the same reasons to ignore it as before. This should fix your issue, if you have a repeat of the same problem i can only suggest the long and frustrating process of sifting through the online help sections for iPods sorry.

One rule never to be broken, always "eject" the iPod manually through iTunes instead of just pulling the plug on it. I think it's a windows issue that iPods are so fussy compared to a Mac, so treat everything iTunes iPod related as requiring that little bit extra attention than expected.

Good Luck ;)
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users