Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Ocurred

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

After the manufacturers splash screen my laptop attempts to boot but only gets as far as "initiallising mouse" then goes to a black screen with the message "a disk error has ocurred please press ctrl+alt+dlt". Once I've done this it goes through the same routine indefinately.

My machine is four year old, it did not come with a XP home CD but came instead with a system recovery disk and a disk with utilies and drivers to restore it to the state when it left the factory. I have tried using the recovery disk but nothing happens, I followed the instructions and ensured that the CD drive was number one in the boot sequence. The CD drive was "playing up" before this issue occurred though.

Can anyone diagnose the problem and suggest a solution, my machine has two floppy drives if that helpsl?

TIA

Hardware: Lenovo G580 2689 Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core  | 6 Gig RAM |

Software: Windows 8.1 | Advanced System Care Ultimate | Windows Firewall | IObits' Malware Fighter Free | Emsisoft Free |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

Since it won't boot to the CD, it's very difficult to figure out what's going on. I'd first try downloading a free, bootable floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com and seeing if you can boot into DOS. From there we "may" be able to run some tests to diagnose it. Let us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:16 AM

Since it won't boot to the CD, it's very difficult to figure out what's going on. I'd first try downloading a free, bootable floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com and seeing if you can boot into DOS. From there we "may" be able to run some tests to diagnose it. Let us know!

thanks usasma, will give it a try and let you know.

Hardware: Lenovo G580 2689 Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core  | 6 Gig RAM |

Software: Windows 8.1 | Advanced System Care Ultimate | Windows Firewall | IObits' Malware Fighter Free | Emsisoft Free |

#4 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

John, thanks to your suggestion I got my Fujitsu Amilo series D laptop running.

When I initially tried with the boot disks I got an eror message on the fifth saying that cdrom.sys was corrupt and that I needed to restart. I did this and got the same disk error message so I began again with the disks and this time it started up after using all 6 discs without any errors. I pressed "R" for the recovery console and it started up as normal.

I worked with it for a little while but it has "blue screened" 3 times, I got MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION on one ocassion and KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR twice. When these occur a slight clicking noise can be heard. Is this a hard drive problem?

I checked device manager and found that my CD/DVD drive is enabled and reported as working correctly.

Looking forward to your reply.

TIA

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:03 AM

Here's some llnks to the errors that you've mentioned

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x9c
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x77

It appears that this is most likely a disk hardware problem, but it could also be corruption of the file system on the disk or even a malware infection.

I'd try running "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) from the Run dialog, scanning the system for viruses (free at http://safety.live.com ) and a free, bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Here's a nice, free tool that will run in Windows, but IMO it's not as thorough as the utility from the hard drive manufacturer: http://www.hdtune.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

Superb info John.

I have to say my laptop crashed again last night and when restarted the message was "unable to detect an operating system". It was late last night when ths occured so I left it and I'm using an old computer at the moment for this post.

I see one of the causes of the stop error is overheating and I know form the Fujitsu forums that this is a common problem with this model. It does get very hot and the fan always (even from new) seems to operate fast even when I'm not doing anything particularly onerous. I attempted to open the case to clean the fan and CPU area but encountered resistance after taking the necessary screws out so decided not to go any further for fear of braking something. I will be needing to go ove r to the Fujitsu forum to find a solution and while I'm over that way download the HDD diagnostic tool.

I have n't ruled out having malware but think it's very unlikely as a take security very seriously, I religiously update AVG as soon as a login every day along with my antispyware proggies. I ran a full AVG sacan as soon as I got it up a and running again, the same with windows defender, spybot search and destroy and ad aware. Syware Blaster is always running in the background also.

Ok, I'm off to get it started up again and hopefully do some diagnostics, I'll will report back with my findings.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Rob

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

While you may take your security very seriously, the virus writers only need one mistake in order to get on your system and corrupt it. While it's unlikely that you're infected, it's best to double check this when troubleshooting - otherwise all the fixes that you try may not work because the malware is interfering with them..

Overheating may cause issues by itself. I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air and blowing out all of the openings in the case - that usually helps to reduce the problem. But, the overheating can also damage components - so the hard drive test is still recommended. Here's a link to the Fujitsu downloads page: http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi...html#diagnostic

From everything that you've said, this is pointing at a hard drive issue. If there's data on the hard drive that you need to save, then I'd suggest using the drive as little as possible in order to increase the chances that you may be able to recover something. The best way to do this is to slave the hard drive to another system and try to recover the files from there.

#8 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

John I have n't got round to attempting to start up my machine again. If it starts I will be treating it as if it's the last time it will start and will want to make a copy of the hard disk immediately. I'm not overly concerned as I got all the important data off onto a USB stick but if I don't then I'll have to go through the laborious task of using a recovery disk containing the first Edition of xp then installing all the drivers, utilities service packs anti-malware proggies etc etc. I am going to invest in an external USB drive to copy my HD but you mention about slaving the hard drive to another system. The laptop I am working on a the moment has plenty of free space on the hard drive to copy to, is it possible to link this up with the laptop with the broken HD and copy it that way?

On the issue of a virus, after what you have said and from my experiences today at a website I frequent I am beginning to think a virus may be the cause, let me explain. The website in question is not some anonymous site located in say Nigeria but one I consider reputable, however each time I tried to download a page I would get an error message telling me it had been aborted, (sorry i don't recall the reason given) refreshing the page would then see it downloded successfully. When I visit the site using this computer no such problem occurs and I am using IE7 on both. I told the administrator and he said IIRC something to the affect that it was very java intensive and that I should try firefox.

Having said all that if it is a virus is that is the cause then I had better try and rid the disk of the virus when I next start up otherwise I will infect and possbly ruin the new storage medium I use to copy the HD. Of coure there is the risk that the HD won't last out to see this task through.

Rob

Edited by goodtyneguy, 30 June 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#9 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

oops

Edited by goodtyneguy, 15 July 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#10 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Hello John, since my last post I've had the laptop up and running and carried out various scans for malware as well as Fujitsu's diagnostic tool. Starting with this, when double clicked on the exe. file (FJDT.EXE) I received the following:

Warning: No HDD has been identified in your system,

1) HDD cable is not properly attached to the HDD

2) HDD interface cable is not properly attached to the HDD

3) HDD master-slave setting is incorrect.

Please power down your PC system, check the above items, and then retstart the program.
If after checking the possible causes, the problem still persists, it is possible the HDD is faulty.

As mentioned before the case has never been opened and the setting mentioned above has not been adjusted.

According to HD Tune the disk is just fine.

Onecare live did not report any problems.

I also ran Panda's online scanner which detected a single item of Adware.Zangosearch which was removed easily. I did have some problems of internet explorer closing quite frequently before this was removed, now no such problem exists.

Panda's online scanner flagged up a potential security risk relating to Errorsafe in a registry key hkey_current_user\software\_rlmtcs It wanted 8.49 for a 6 month subscription in oder for it to be removed. I declined as I thought I might be able to remove it manually and probably thought it is probably a false positive to get me to part with my money.

Spybot S&D flagged up a registry key under the title internet explorer, there was no explanation for this so I deleted it.

A full AVG antivirus scan, ad aware and A squared were ran in safe mode and nothing came up.

Cleaned with Crap Cleaner Eusing reg. cleaner.

CHKDSK indicates a clean disk.

I have to say I've been working on my machine for about three days now and it's as "sweet as a nut" not one glitch.

Coming back to Fujitsu's diagnostic tool, the user guide says that it cannot be run in the windows environment and needs to be run in DOS:

3. USER'S GUIDE
--------------------------------------------

3.1. Requirement

a) Operating System : DOS

* This version has only been tested from DOS 5.0 above

:thumbsup: CPU: IBM-PC compatibles -> 80x86 CPU-Based motherboards

3.2. Running the program

*Note: You cannot run this program under WINDOWS environment.

3.2.1. Boot from a clean DOS disk.
3.2.2. Change to the drive/directory where FJDT.EXE is located.
3.2.3. Syntax:
A> FJDT

I'm confused, did I do it right or did I need to d/l it to a floppy and boot into DOS?

On a different note, I would like to back up the HD to the HD on another laptop I have, could you please explain a way of doing this or point me to some instructions.

Again thank you your help, it is appreciated.

Rob :-)

Edited by goodtyneguy, 15 July 2007 - 03:43 PM.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

You might want to download the Ultimate Boot CD. It does have Fujitsu's drive diagnostics on the disc. It comes in an iso format and when made, is a bootable cd.

Edited by oldf@rt, 15 July 2007 - 04:03 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

You might want to download the Ultimate Boot CD. It does have Fujitsu's drive diagnostics on the disc. It comes in an iso format and when made, is a bootable cd.

Oh, that reminds me the CD/DVD drive is not working hence the use of the boot floppys to get up and running again. I did mention it in my OP.

Been through MS's trouble shooting wizard with out any success, maybe I'll have to start a new thread if a search fails to produce a solution.

Thanks anyway oldf@rt I've book marked the web page for future use. :thumbsup:

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

When you run the boot options in the bios, does this laptop allow USB boot? If it does, most external usb drives will boot fujitsu laptops, some can even boot from usb flash drives, external usb hard drives can also be configured to boot.

Edited by oldf@rt, 15 July 2007 - 06:51 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#14 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

When you run the boot options in the bios, does this laptop allow USB boot? If it does, most external usb drives will boot fujitsu laptops, some can even boot from usb flash drives, external usb hard drives can also be configured to boot.

That's a great suggestion OF I need to puchase myself an external HD forbackup purposes. I'm on my spare laptop ATM so I'm not sure about the boot sequence. I kow it lists 3 options HD, CD/DVD drive but not sure how the third option is described. It may say external drives so I may be lucky. It's late now here in the UK so I'll takea look in the morning.

I was hoping I could copy the HD to my spare laptop and boot from there but don't know how and if this is possible. Sorry I'm not to tech. savvy ATM.

See you later.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

You can copy to the spare space on the other laptop - but you'll need to setup the "network" and use a crossover cable to connect them. I haven't done this myself, so I'll leave it for others who've got the experience.

But, since you already have a need for an external backup device, it would seem that now is the time to get one - then you can use it right away without fiddling with the laptop transfer.

As for the Fujitsu utility, you must boot into DOS - either from a floppy or from some other device - in order to run the test. I'd trust the Fujitsu tool more than any other since it's a Fujitsu drive that you're working on (other tests may detect failures, but may not detect finer issues with the drive that only the manufacturer's tools may detect).

"Nothing succeeds like success!" - Since everything is working fine, I'd suggest just leaving things as they are (but still do the backup). You can still run the Fujitsu tool, but I'm wondering if chkdsk has fixed the issue for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users