Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Isass.exe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hi all - I don't understand this, so I thought I'd ask-

First of all, some system info-
Windows XP - Home - SP2
ZA Pro
Avg Free - 7.5
IE7

Ok... now what happened - When I started my computer this afternoon, I got a black screen during bootup, with a message box saying - Isass.exe - not enough quota
So I shut it down. Upon restart, it booted just fine.

Then I googled "isass.exe" and found this upon searching -
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...slibrary/isass/

It looks like a real "nastie" so I did this - - -

I brought up AVG and looked in the virus vault - nothing, then did a scan - nothing. Ran Bit Defender - nothing.

So.... could it be that - it was just trying to "get in" when I booted my computer ( a matter of timing ) or could it be imbedded and I didn't find it? Normally, all my scans come up clean, so this kinda threw me off!.

Thank you, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

Could the file in question be lsass.exe (small case L) ?? The reason I ask is when Googling "lsass.exe - not enough quota" this is the page that comes up:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=...ota&spell=1

Edited by buddy215, 21 June 2007 - 09:10 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Preying to the Comp Gods

Preying to the Comp Gods

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

I have the same process on my computer, and it must be windows, because i just re-installed the operating system.
Kick the computer

it's fun

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Give a try to scanning with SuperAntiSpyware in Safe Mode
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
as (I)sass.exe is a variant of the OPTIX PRO TROJAN
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:33 AM

I don't think it's malware.
I think it's an important system process.

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding - I was running more scans ( in the most "in depth" mode available ). Everything keeps coming up clean. I'm thinking that the results point to a Windows process, as suggested. I don't see how there could have been a problem with available memory during bootup, but just maybe a "fluke"?

I've Googled so.... much it's become mind boggling. I'm not really sure if it started with an "i" or an "l" - or upper or lower case, which I see makes a vast difference. Guess I paniced when I got the error message.After the initial problem, all subsequent bootups have been fine.

Thanks for the input everyone - hopefully everythings ok now - Keith

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Well good luck to you. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users