Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Recognizing Cd's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nato

nato

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hello, I am running a Dell Dimension desktop with Windows XP.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it is not recognizing any CD that is placed into the CD ROM drive. They are treated as blank CD's, and the computer does not recognize any information from them. This was first noticed with music CD-R's, but I have also tried purchased CD's, game discs, and other data CD's, all to no avail. If it even recognizes that a CD is in the drive, the computer claims that it is a blank disc.

If anyone could help me with this I would be grateful. Thank you,

-Nato

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DellCA

DellCA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

My name's John, and I work at Dell headquarters.

Since your drive is treating all disks as if they were blank, my first thought it that there is a problem with the drive's laser. Have you tried using a CD-player lens cleaner? It may do the trick, but if it doesn't, the drive will most likely have to be replaced. Let me know if that ends up being the case. Perhaps I can make it happen. :thumbsup:
John
Dell Customer Advocate

#3 nato

nato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanks, John. I'll continue trying the Lens cleaner but I think you're right about it needing replaced.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Try going to the Device Manager, uninstall the drive, then reboot, and see if Windows will pick it up.
Right-click My Computer / Hardware tab / Device Manager button
Locate the drive, right-click it, and select Uninstall.
Reboot.

Have you tried updating the drivers?

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD
How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD -ROM Read Issues
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users