Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Off And Now Will Not Start At All

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 myplaidshorts

myplaidshorts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Yesterday, my computer kept shutting off randomly for no apparent reason. I had to turn the power off for a while for it to start again.

Now today, it won't even start up at all. It turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off.

Oh and before for about half a year, my computer would freeze at random times. To fix that, I had to turn off the power for a few hours and then it would work for about a month and happen again.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:12 PM

SOunds like the problem staarted with excessive heat in the box. Is this a laptop or a desktop? Try cleaning out the dust from the fans and processor heat sink, also, check the motherboard for swollen or leaking capacitors (they are usually small black cylinders spaced all over the motherboard). Swollen and/or leaking capacitors are usually an indication of over haeting and once they start to leak it is usually time to replace the board. Do you get any beeps when starting up or does it just not start at all? The power supply could also be bad which is by far the cheapest and easiest component to replace.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 myplaidshorts

myplaidshorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

This is a desktop.

What is the motherboard exactly? Sorry I'm not good with computers.

It doesn't beep but it does start for a second and then turns off. It won't "start" again untill I turn off the power for a while buteven then, it just starts for a second.

So I should replace the motherboard and the power supply?

I'll also call my buddy who is really good with computers later on today.

Thanks.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

The mother board is the main circuit board that all your cards and processors are attached to inside the computer case. If you take the side of the case off your computer then you should easily be able to discern the motherboard it is usually attached to the bottom or side of the inside of the case depending on what type of desktop box you have.
First thing I woudl suggest you do is get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the all the fans on your power supply, processor and any other fans you may have in the box, also blow out any dust from the processor heat sink, it is usually underneath the fan and is generally silver in colour it looks like the fins on a radiator.
This is what a motherboard looks like
Posted Image
This is what a heatsink looks like
Posted Image
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 myplaidshorts

myplaidshorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Ok thanks. I cleaned out the dust yesterday but it still doesn't work. I'm going to try out a new power supply today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users