Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worms Trojans And Now No Ie !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 happygal

happygal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:07 AM

My son downlodaed stuff on our family pc and now we are in deep trouble. Ran adaware, spybot, avast, avg and Nod32. Found around 5 trojans and worms and had them quarentined. A couple I had to remove manually follwing regedit instructions.
When I had completed this I found IE7 showed nothing but no page to display. No network settings had changed. Tried resetting to web defaults. Still no page to display. I decided to roll back IE to IE6. Still no page to display. I am at my wits end. PC tends to run slow and when I try and close any box down it kinda peels down slowly instad of just shutting down. Icons on desktop react to boxes shutting down by disappearing for 3 seconds then returning. Can anyone advise please. I have a dell pc with recovery. Never had to use it but feel this wont probably get rid of whatever bugs are on hard drive??
Thanks
Happygal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:28 AM

Posted Image to BC happygal. It is often so that Trojans do influence network settings as such.

As a first step I would recommend the following :

1) Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit ENTER.
A dos Window will appear. Type or copy/paste the following: netsh winsock reset
Hit ENTER.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Download Firefox but do not install. Firefox is a safer and more stable browser than IE in general.

2) Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

After that, download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE using the F8 method.

Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:

* Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
* Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
* Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
* Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
* Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
* Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
* When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
* Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
* When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
(This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
* Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
* Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
* Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
* Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

After this is all done, please post all the reports and we will take it from there.

#3 happygal

happygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for prompt reply. Will follow instructions and get back to you

Happygal

#4 happygal

happygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Oh dear Oh dear!
Ran the winsock from cmd. Fine. Rebooted. I already had F Secure so I started to run it. Froze after a minute. Wasnt even showing up as running in task manager so couldnt stop process from there. Shut down. When I boot up now I get the windows splash screen ans then black screen with something like Loading PBR on it (it goes away quick!) then back to boot...no sign on screen..neverending boot loop.
Now what do I do please?
many thanks
Happygal

PS IE still no page to display so downloading on that pc is out of question. Using my pc upstairs to write this.

Edited by happygal, 21 June 2007 - 05:47 AM.

#5 happygal

happygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

Managed to get to desktop using last good configuration...will let you know how I get on
Thanks

#6 happygal

happygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Well,
I had an internet connection now I dont again. Those checks got rid of or moved to quaratine around 4 trojans/viruses. Now I am back to square one. Cant get on the internet. The pc is running ultra slow. Icons disapperaing and appearing..ist been a long day and I feel I havent seen any improvement at all. I have been downloading big programmes and its quite a slow machine anyway - only 256 mb ram so you can imgaine its chocka now!
I feel I should put stuff on a pen drive and just do the recovery with dell - dont even know how to do that lol!
Woud any viruses go if I put it back to factory settings? I have a dimension 3000
Thanks
happygal

#7 happygal

happygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:55 AM

Right! The router had somehow got knocked out and internet is up and running. Things seem to be running faster. My hubby wont let me post some of the results on - some red faces round here!
Happygal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users