Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"modem In Use", Problems Signing Online W/ Dialup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kerouacstyle

kerouacstyle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:04 AM

Hi,

I'm stuck with dial-up for the summer (unfortunately) and seem to be having an annoying problem. I am using PeoplePC (TERRIBLE dial-up and I do NOT recommend it) and can dial-up fine, initially. After a while of being online (frequently) my connection will stop working (but still show up in the taskbar, of course not "lighting up" as though it is connected, and I have to "disconnect" in order to get back online again. The only problem is, often it won't release the connection to my modem, even if it's actually stopped sending/recieving data. I can pick up my phone and hear that the line is freed from the connection but somehow it stays stuck. I get an error message if I try to reconnect that says the modem is still in use. I'm sure to close EVERY possible program that could be using it, no fax machines or anything like that also. I'm sick of having to restart my computer to fix this! It happens all the time!

I'm running Windows XP on a fairly old Compaq Presario 700 Notebook. My modem is a Conexant HSFi V92 MiniPCI attached to my COM3 port. It is the only modem I have installed. Help please. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users