Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Copying Explanations, Please?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

(Believe it or not) I've never really used the cd writer much. I want to transfer data files to and from my new laptop. The desktop has XP and Nero, but it also seems to have some inbuilt copy function, because you can just copy and paste, then write to the cd (which is what I did). The laptop has Win2K and "Sonic" something-or-other.
I wanted to copy some files from the laptop onto a cd-RW which had some files on it which had been copied from the desktop but it said the disk was "read-only". I am pretty sure that I've added files from the desktop to a disk with files already on it.
So, the question is - can cds be used just like floppies (which is what I want) and, if so, how? What did I do to make that disk "read-only", or was it just because it was different copying software, or what? [I have NO IDEA what's going on, so I don't even know the right questions to ask :thumbsup: ]. Any basic explanation would be appreciated.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

A CD is like a floppy as you can store information on them and use it to transfer information from one computer to another. But the method of storage is completely different. A floppy is erasable and can be reused, a CD once it is burned is not reusable...unless it is a rewritable CD. A floppy can be edited, a rewritable CD will have to be erased in order to reuse it.

The basic difference is that a floppy can be edited, once a CD is burned the information can't be changed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gaming freakz

gaming freakz

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

just to be sure......
is cd-recording enabled on your drive??
right-click your cd drive in My Computer and check under the recording tab
By the time you have read this.....you have wasted 3 seconds of your life.

#4 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:28 AM

The basic difference is that a floppy can be edited, once a CD is burned the information can't be changed.

Thanks, I'm only talking about adding information to the disk not editing what's on there - the desktop will let me add things (I just tried it and my memory isn't faulty :thumbsup: ). What I don't understand is how it does that - does it have to be the same program doing it, the same drive, or what? Just to clarify - I put 2 files on a cd, copied them to the laptop. Then I wanted to copy back the files as I'd amended them, but it said "read-only". But if I put that same cd back into the desktop computer, it'll let me add more files - the desktop doesn't think it's "read-only", only the laptop does.

I tried burning a file from the laptop, and the desktop will still let me add to that. It appears to be something in the laptop - either win2k doesn't let you do what XP does, or there's something stopping it?

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

just to be sure......
is cd-recording enabled on your drive??
right-click your cd drive in My Computer and check under the recording tab

It doesn't have that tab in Win2K. It does write from the Sonic program so it is somehow enabled.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

W2k doesn't have the Incd that XP has.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

W2k doesn't have the Incd that XP has.

I had to look that up :thumbsup: . The Sonic program says it can make drag and drop files, but it says something about using some key to share them. I'll have to look up what that's all about. Or I can keep using a new cd every time :flowers: . Thanks for the help.

#8 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

When you record to CD look for an option that lets you create a multi-session disc, that way you can add things later on.

But when you want to add something later you may have to import multi-session info. It depends what burning software you use as to exaclty how to do it. Try googling multi-session and "your software" for more details.
Posted Image

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

When you record to CD look for an option that lets you create a multi-session disc, that way you can add things later on.

But when you want to add something later you may have to import multi-session info. It depends what burning software you use as to exaclty how to do it. Try googling multi-session and "your software" for more details.

I presume that'd be the second "Sonic" option... And the "multi-session info" may be this key it refers to. I might figure it out one day....

...or not :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users