Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trivia ...

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

My husband loves 'trivia' - in fact, I often tease that he's a walking trivia bank - grin!

Anyway, just wondering if others like trivia too? And if so, would you like to share any weird and wonderful things you know?

For instance:

A notch in a tree will remain the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.

A quarter of the horses in the US died of a vast virus epidemic in 1872. (yup, the same 'human' flu epidemic that wipes out thousands)
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:12 AM

Hmm, not sure if this is trivia or not, or just general knowledge that everyone knows.

Raindrops not shapped like tears. - try it out, ask someone to draw/sketch a raindrop and see what shape they draw.

Google for more info.
Posted Image

#3 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:32 AM

I love trivia, always coming up with random facts and statistics

However everyone laughs at me and calls me a geek, my friends always do the same grin when I enter some trivia into a convo...meh
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:44 AM

Trivia.They say the older you get, the bigger your Ears get. I was such a beautiful Baby,and with my ears,I might be able to fly before I die. :flowers: :thumbsup:

http://www.pyzamstuff.com/funpix/babies/bigears.jpg

#5 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

rofl oh dear, my bro always has had, and always will have big ears. It's quite amusing, looking at pics of him as a baby. Cus aren't ears only 1 of 2 things that proceed to grow throughout life?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:09 AM

The indentation on the bottom of a champagne bottle is called the boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:25 AM

On average, a man speaks 2,000 words a day. Women average 7,000.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

I like your sig dc3

And yea I can guess yours is right Budapest :thumbsup:

#9 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Ok i love this sort of thing, heres a few ive learnt over the years.

All polar bears are left handed

The wedding ring is worn on what is known as the 'wedding finger' next to the little finger on the left hand, as this is the only finger on either hand that has a nerve connected directly to the heart. (Bet you didnt know that)

At the most, a day is actually only 23 hours and 51 mins, and not a full 24 hours.

Soldiers from every country salute with their right hand.

All the planets in our solar system could be placed inside the planet Jupiter

:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

I hate to be pedantic, but...

The wedding ring is worn on what is known as the 'wedding finger' next to the little finger on the left hand, as this is the only finger on either hand that has a nerve connected directly to the heart. (Bet you didnt know that)

This was believed in medieval times but is infact not true.

At the most, a day is actually only 23 hours and 51 mins, and not a full 24 hours.

The Earth's rotation period is 24 hours relative to the sun. Relative to the stars, the Earth's rotation period is about 23 hours and 56 minutes, due to the fact that the earth is rotating about its own axis and about the sun (link).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

Have you ever wondered what the origin of some phrases come from, how about 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey'?

No, it's not as coarse and rude as it might appear! This very common description of the British winter weather actually comes from the times when the navy fought with cannon balls. These were stored on deck, besides the actual cannon. With the rolling of the ship the balls would roll aound the ship. They were welded to small stable upright called, a brass monkey. In the bitter cold the weld could snap and the let loose the balls!

http://www.backroadstouring.co.uk/phraseorigins.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the Link 'dc3' I have often wondered where these sayings came from. Heard 90% of those sayings used here over the years. Most interesting.to find out their origins. :thumbsup:

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

On average, a man speaks 2,000 words a day. Women average 7,000.

I read 9k and women 32k a day.

Lets see if you all like these.

When dizzy a cat can throw up twice its body weight.

A elephant is the only mammal with 4 knee's.

Lightning is hotter than the surface of the sun.

A dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans.

One of the dirtiest parts is the mouth. Kiss kiss...ha ha

Your kitchen sink is dirtier than your toilet and so is your computer desk as it is the dirtiest place in the house tests have shown.

#14 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

OMG! i LOVE this!! Its like Trivia MassIIIIVE! :thumbsup:

I'm not much of a Triva bank myself :trumpet: ha haaa, but i shall certainly sponge up THIS little store :inlove:

WICKED Thread MaraM!!! :flowers:

#15 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

Lightning is hotter than the surface of the sun.

MENTLENESS! The sun always comes across as so unapproachable and untouchable, yet there are plenty of people who have survived a lightening stike.

AWWW the Sun aint that much of a Beasty after all :thumbsup:

Edited by nn23, 21 June 2007 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users