Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Else Never Seen A Computer Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

There's so much talk of internet security and the need for firewalls and anti-virus programs, but I can't remember my scanners ever picking up any viruses when they do their thing. Is that because they "zap" them before they scan, or??? Am I alone in never having "seen" one? Before I got this router, the firewall used to stop all of these overseas computers trying to access my computer, but now there is nothing. A lot of time is spent trying to figure out how to work the security program - do you really even need it if you have proper backups and don't mind reinstalling if it all bites the dust? Are there any statistics as to how many computers get viruses or hacked, or whatever? Is it all a bit of a "beat up" to get people to buy more software?
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

Start with a casual perusal of the first 3 or 4 dozen pages of this fourm: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Realizing of course this is only one of hundreds that do malware assistance. Not counting the thousands of computer shops who make millions of dollars cleaning machines. Add all those up exponentially world wide and it boggles the mind.

Here is a little 'light' reading to give you some additonal insight. http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=204791938

Then it's up to you to make an educated guess as to the answer to your question.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hi tekchallenged - Animal is so right, honestly!

And just imagine the frustration of your computer going nuts and suddenly finding you can't even get back here to Bleeping to ask for help - eep!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

Viruses, trojans, worms, malware, spyware are all very real. There are companies like Symantec who make Norton who are in the business to make money, but there are many companies that provide free software. Just to mention a few, Avast, AVG, Zome Alarm, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, Asquared...

The main difference between most freeware and some shareware products is that they aren't fully active as the retail programs. AVG and Zone Alarm are exceptions to that rule.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:12 AM

Start with a casual perusal of the first 3 or 4 dozen pages of this fourm: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Realizing of course this is only one of hundreds that do malware assistance. Not counting the thousands of computer shops who make millions of dollars cleaning machines. Add all those up exponentially world wide and it boggles the mind.

Here is a little 'light' reading to give you some additonal insight. http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=204791938

Then it's up to you to make an educated guess as to the answer to your question.

I know there are viruses and I know they cause problems. But is there a proportion of the millions (?) of PC users who have never seen a virus? Has everyone on here been infected or see them routinely popping up on their scanning programs? It's a question about prevalence/incidence, rather than existence or consequences - eg you can find out how many of a particular cancer occur in a geographical area and what percentage of the population get it, but what about viruses?

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

I know there are viruses and I know they cause problems. But is there a proportion of the millions (?) of PC users who have never seen a virus? Has everyone on here been infected or see them routinely popping up on their scanning programs? It's a question about prevalence/incidence, rather than existence or consequences - eg you can find out how many of a particular cancer occur in a geographical area and what percentage of the population get it, but what about viruses?

Trend Micro give a Virius Map for the last 24 hrs to 30 Days. Presume it's only what Trend Micro has found.

http://www.trendmicro.com/map/

Edited by DSTM, 21 June 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:31 AM

And just imagine the frustration of your computer going nuts and suddenly finding you can't even get back here to Bleeping to ask for help - eep!

My perception has changed since I became a multi-pc establishment (translation: got a new laptop :flowers: ). It can bite the dust and I've still got the desktop.
I can only imagine the frustration of my computer being hit by some virus, but I have actually experienced the daily frustration caused by the installation of security programs, and this frustration actually costs me money.
:thumbsup:

#8 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:43 AM

It should not cost you money or worry.

My security suite

ZoneAlarm - firewall
AVGfree - antivirus
SpybotS&D - antimalware
AdAware2007 -antimalware
SpywareBlaster -antimalware

These are all free, and once installed you really dont have to do much.

I have a folder on my desktop called "Security", witlh shortcuts to the last 4. As soon as I log onto the net I check for update, for all 4 its takes about 5mins.

I run Spybot and AdAware once a week, I never monitor them I leave them to run when I'm busy doing other things.

SpywareBlaster just sits there doing its thing in the background.

Avg I run every few days dependiing on how much internet usage I have done.

I visit many sites looking at pretty ladies, and in the last few years Ive had this set up no nasties have broke through and infected me.

Prevention is 100 times better than cure.

### edit ###

Fixed spelling

Edited by bilko, 21 June 2007 - 02:45 AM.

Posted Image

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:43 AM

Trend Micro give a Virius Map for the last 24 hrs to 30 Days. Presume it's only what Trend Micro has found.Haven't found World Data Numbers as yet.

Very interesting, thanks.

#10 bilko

bilko

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:52 AM

Oooops, forgot the point of your post.

Due to whatever security measure you have in place nasties probably never get through that need any interaction from you to fix.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/t...-honeypot_x.htm

This is a pretty good read, its a bit out of date (2004) but it will illustrate the need for PC security.
Posted Image

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

Just go run some online scanners on your machine, if you have not already.

I am willing to guess that you have some malware on your computer and dont even know about it.

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols3.shtml#
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Active antimalware and antivirus programs are never 100% I have yet to see any PC that is 100% clean. I guarantee that I can find a couple of virii/adware downloads on this machine, probably in /usr/tmp. They wont do squat to me because they were written for windows
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:09 AM

Just remote scanned from another machine on my network: found Win32.unknown on this machine.(/usr/tmp/ff)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:22 AM

I am willing to guess that you have some malware on your computer and dont even know about it.

yet another reason not to buy security software, if it doesn't even work :thumbsup:

#14 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

This is a pretty good read, its a bit out of date (2004) but it will illustrate the need for PC security.

Interesting, thanks.

#15 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:19 AM

Am I alone in never having "seen" one

You can count me out of that one, I've had a couple of viruses over the years. The last was about 5 years ago, I left my firewall off, (I can't remember why I turned it off) and someone accessed my computer. My computer was networked with my wifes, I could not get rid of all the infected files and had to reformatt. My wife had over 300 infected files because of me. She lost a lot of important stuff when I reformatted because she had not backed up for a while. I lost a bit of stuff too.
Needless to say, I'm much more careful now... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users