Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invasion of the Pests

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 touse

touse

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:24 AM

What should you do when malware manages to get around your security measures?

I mean, you're sitting in front of the computer, you've just recieved a message from your anti-malware software that all preventative action has failed and you are actually hearing the pest install itself onto your machine.

It happened to me once, and my immediate reaction was to shut down the computer. But of course the shut down button didn't react. But isn't there sth called a cold start, that breaks of all running processes and shuts down the computer instantaneously? (What keys do you press for a cold start? Ctrl alt del?). Would that work? Would it prevent the pest from installing itself, or at least interfere with its installation process?

Any other does or don't's?

PS. I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Maybe tips and tricks should be better? Feel free to move it.

touse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:30 AM

This is a tough one. The problem is if you shut down the computer by hard powering it off, then the malware may have been in the middle of changes, that when only done 1/2 way can cause problems. I would proably let it fully install and then have it removed instead of panicing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users