Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can i install XP Pro on XP Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:10 AM

can i install Windows XP Professiona over Windows XP Home?
But i only have a 4 CD recovery set.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

Yes you can install PRO over home...not sure what you mean by the recovery set

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

When you buy computer from places like a very large retail store say Harvey Norman or something you don't get an actual Windows XP CD, so if something happens to you pc and you need to fix, well you don't get the option of repair or install a fresh copy of Windows. we get these 4 CDs which a called recovery cd's it's not the actual windows XP home, but it restore the computer to the day you purchased it which is fine. But i was just wondering if i was able to install Windows XP Professional on my Windows XP Home,. Do you need the Windows XP Home disc? because i have to upgrade to it not a fresh install because those revovery cd's have all my drivers etc like sound monitor keyboard and mouse and all that (My PC is a Acer) it's a manufactured one there would be say heaps the same but with a diffrerent produt for XP Home on each one.

#4 Onowondercow

Onowondercow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

No, you won't be prompted for the XP Home disk. You should be fine because you have the driver disks. The only time you really run into problems with doing the upgrade is in situations where you have a recovery partition (like HPs) instead of disks because the upgrade will destroy the recovery partition.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

All the drivers are on the recovery disc.
example...

Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, CD-ROM, DVD, Re-Righter etc. all on the recovery disc.

Only have a cd for printer. and a program to burn DVD (not that it can burn copy protected ones anyway).

so would i still be able to?

#6 Onowondercow

Onowondercow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:45 PM

Yes...should work fine! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users