Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Only Stays On For About 5-8 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zunstree

zunstree

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Well, my computer wont stay on for more then 5-8 seconds. CS thought the problem might be the powersupply, so they sent me a new one. Didnt work no difference what so ever. So it looks like im gonna call them and send the whole damn thing in.

I still got green lights on the motherboard, but the tech support guy thinks the motherboard might be defective or damaged (even though i had a few months before this happen, though i did get nvlddkm errors alot in games, common vista problem i think though)

Im curious if anyone has anyidea's what might be wrong before i end up sending it in (Mostly im afraid there gonna wipe my hard drive)

*Edit* oh and this started when i tried reseating the video card, CS had me reseat the ram also

Windows Vista Premium

AMD AthlonT64 X2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570-SLI
2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Mushkin
NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512MB
250 GB HARD DRIVE
18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter

Edited by zunstree, 20 June 2007 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Don't waste anymore of your time on this system.

Send it back - RMA.

Save what you can otherwise.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

Check to make sure that the cooling fan for your cpu (processor) is running. The computer will shut down without warning or error notice to protect the cpu. If this started when you reseated your graphics card, then I'd start there. Remove your graphics card. Make sure to unplug everything from it too. Now put it back in and ensure that you have it seated correctly and tightly, and that any/all wires/cords are plugged into it correctly and tightly. Start your computer and keep your fingers crossed. If it still acts up, then keep reading.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to ground yourself on your computer case either by touching the silver metal frame of the case or by using a wrist strap. A tiny static shock can ruin any piece of hardware in the computer.

Remove the following (yes, all at the same time):

1 stick of ram, unplug cd/dvd drive, remove pci adapter (wireless adapter if you can), remove graphics card (plug your monitor into the VGA spot on your motherboard, and you should get the glorious 16 bit graphics) and unplug/remove anything plugged into USB or firewire ports. Now, try to start your computer and see what happens. If it works, then start adding things back one at a time, with the graphics card being last. If you install or plug something in (like a stick of ram or the graphics card) and the computer won't run for more than a few seconds, then you know it's that last piece that you tried to install/plug in. If when you have everything out except for the single stick of ram and it still won't run for a few seconds, then put that stick in the other slot. If it still does it, then remove that stick and put the other (second stick) back in. If it still won't run, swap the slots again. If it still won't run, then you know that it's something other than your hardware components (like your motherboard/cpu fan etc. etc.).

Of course, if the computer is still under warranty, then I'd back up things on my hard drive to DVD or CD or an external hard drive and let them deal with it.

EDIT: KoanYorel just summed up my last sentence there perfectly!

Edited by stevealmighty, 20 June 2007 - 04:15 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 zunstree

zunstree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

well the comp is only 2 months old, when i turn it on it doesnt stay on long enough for the moniter to even turn on, ill try the steps you outlined tonight after work

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

If it's that new, then I'd let them deal with it. This way, you won't accidentally void any warranty or give the company a reason to try to make you pay for them fixing it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users