Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word 2003 - Need Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:59 AM

With Word, I have words that i use that are correct, but it keeps underlining them in red and i know you can add the words into its dictionary so that this doesn't happen for those words anymore. I forgot on where you do it, i know i should know as i've been using word since Office '95. I just always click on ignore. Someone did tell me once, but i need my memory refreshed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

The easiest way I found was to run spell check and when the pop up dialog box appears on words not in Word's dictionary( red squigglies) , there is an option to ignore, change, etc., or "add to dictionary". It is there that I make a decision whether to add or not, and I add it to the general dictionary. Check the HELP to determine how to set up a *special* dictionary, if that is what you want to do, just for these words.
Hope this helps.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

Something so simple, how could i forget. :thumbsup:
Helps, thanx, it was names of people which get used and sick the red lines. I just click "Add To Dictionary" which is all i wanted.

Now, when i install Office 2003 Professional, the defult theme for it is the new 3D look plus that blue ocean toolbars and menues, well for some reason Word 2003 has changed but the rest stayed defult, i want Word 2003 to be the blue but it won't change to it, it's the same colour as a WIndows XP Window with the blue title bar and the blue srollbar that's it the reast of it is that i think a creamy colour. Would i have to reinstall just Word 2003?
or the whole suite?

I've got Windows XP on the Defult "Blue" theme. (Excel, Access, Outlook, INfoPath, Publisher, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, OneNote & FrontPage are the Defult theme) just word that's out.

I uninstalled Just Word 2003, then re-installed it but it still the same, maybe try the whole suite?
I tried installing the whole suite but word won't change back to its defult theme like the rest of the suite, it looks like the odd one out, i thought they supposed to be the same not have one different, Word 2003 was on the same disc same product key number as the rest.

i've got screenshots available, but how do i add them to here? (just so you know what i'm talking about.

i would have done system restore to place it back to when word was the same as the rest of the suite, but all the restore points i made aren't there i created them it said it was created, it's turn on.

i think i know what's happened, it's change it's look to Word XP (2002) but the toolbars are the same as 2003. maybe an office xp files is still there somewhere. but i can't understand why it affect only word 2003.
please help.

Edited by Izzy, 22 January 2005 - 04:30 PM.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

I didn't need help after all i just found why all my office 2003 programs displayed office 2003 look, but word 2003 was displaying only the Office xp look, in the WORD.EXE properties there was a tab "Compatibility" then a heading "Compatibility mode" the was a check mark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and "Windows NT" was selected. so i took the check mark off and yippee it's back to normal. so i un-installed the whole thing for nothing and wasted my second activation (as office 2003 pro has two activations. on for a table pc and the other for a laptop. So could i do a backup copy of my office or something in a way i don't need to activated it again?

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

so i took the check mark off and yippee it's back to normal.

Thats what I like to hear about... your success, Izzy :thumbsup:

Haven't got much more to add, presently, but good job
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:57 AM

When i had Office 2000 Premium the space it used was about 500MB.
Office XP Professional used 800MB
Now with Office 2003 Professional it used an amazing 1.9GB

shows how much they've put in the new one.

Imagine the next office.

ANyone know when the next office due for release?

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:20 AM

Do not confuse bloated code with increased functionality,LOL. The major change to 2003 was almost only in the area of group collaboration; I don't forsee any real breakthrough for several more years.
Regards,
John

You can also make changes that will allow spellcheck to pass over words in uppercase.

Edited by jgweed, 24 January 2005 - 09:22 AM.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,562 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:18 PM

Izzy,
You already solved your problems, so this is just a minor addon, my opinions:
All settings are in Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar
Shut it all off
It canít tell
there from their
or its from itís
or spelling from spell
nor any technical words :trumpet:
and itís a bore to teach it anyway so whatís the point
Just shut it off. No more annoyances. No more red words. No more trash on the screen. :flowers: Misspelt words can be deduced from the context most of the time by your readers. :thumbsup:

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

I know MS Word is pretty dumb. you really have to be precise with it otherwise it doesn't understand (not that it does anyway).

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Spell check, in my opinion, does a decent job in catching obvious mistakes, like typing the same word twice, or transposing letters.It saves a lot of time, but it would be a mistake to rely on it for anything else; nothing is better than copyreading your writing.
Regards,
John

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:53 AM

My Word 2003 and the rest of my office Professional is fine now. i did the updates online not that i noticed any different although it was 79MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users