Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp - Registry Error On Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dwatson1225

dwatson1225

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

When trying to boot up I receive a blue screen registry error - it indicates rebooting and using Safe Mode. I have gone to Safe Mode and receive the same error. I also tried to use 'use last successful' config and it fails. I then inserted the XP CD and used the Recovery Option and still receive the same error. Is there a way to use a previous registry version to boot up? I think this was an option in Windows 98. If not -any suggestions? There is a ton of family pictures and music on the drive and I don't want to lose all this if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imi

imi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi dwatson

It would be helpfull if you gave a little more information.

What OS do have installed?
Any hardware been changed or aded?
Any new applications installed?
Did anything happen immediately before the blue screen?

help us help you. :thumbsup:

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

do a full system repair with your xp cd
boot up with windows disc
dont choose recovery console
choose setup
like your going to do a fresh inststall of windows
but when you get there press r for a complete repair
then it starts copying files and such let this and repairs complete
have your product key ready
hope that works

#4 dwatson1225

dwatson1225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

OS is Windows XP
No new hardware added since adding scanner several months ago
No new applications

This is my daughter's computer and I know she has a lot of spyware/adware that needs removed but I can't even bootup now. I tried to get into Task Manager to shut down processes but a window popped up saying task manager has been disabled by system administrator - I understand certain spyware/adware can/viruses can disable this.

This is when I attemted to reboot and starting getting the registry error blue screen

I will try the CD Setup/Repair.

#5 dwatson1225

dwatson1225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

I loaded OS CD and went to Setup and selected Recovery option. There was only one Windows version to select. When I select this version to repair it immediately gives the Registry Error blue screen (including all the items about rebooting in safe mode, etc).

What's next?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

We'll need the exact text of the error message in order to define this a bit more. Here's some links on how to find the information that we need:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

In general, a BSOD with a registry error indicates one of three things:
1) The registry is busted
2) The file system on the hard drive is busted
3) The hard drive itself is busted.

Registry repair is pretty complicated, so let's leave that until last. But, you can try this free scan to see if it'll help the registry (but you've gotta get into Windows to use it) - http://safety.live.com/

So, you'll have to boot to some sort of OS in order to check the file system. Can you get into Safe Mode? Can you get into the Recovery Console (press R at the first screen during the boot from the OS CD)? Once into either one, you'll have to run "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) to check the file system on the disk. If all of that doesn't work, then we'll have to try the next step.

This step (IMO) will be the one that will tell you the most. Go to the website of the manufacturer of the hard drive in the computer and download a bootable diagnostic utility (follow their directions to make a bootable CD out of it). Then boot the computer with the CD and test the drive. If it starts showing errors, then it's likely that the hard drive is toast - and you'll have to get a new one and reinstall the OS on that.

Let us know what you can get done and the results of what you find out and we can move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2007 - 08:18 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users