Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Opens And Closes Constantly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GOPHER77

GOPHER77

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

The CD drawer of my desktop opens and closes constantly while the power is on. Are there any simple solutions? I am not computer savvy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

What kind of drive is it (make/model/manufacturer)? Does it open and close repeatedly when there's a disc in it?

Try using a straightened out paper clip or a thumb tack to manually open it (should be a tiny hole on the front of the drive, probably to the right and around the "eject" button-push paper clip or tack straight in while power is on on computer and the tray should pop open). Gently pull the tray out until it stops, then push it back in. If it's not seated right on the tracks, this should hopefully fix it. If not then.....well, just let us know how you make out! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for responding. I tried the paper clip last evening ( several attempts). There was no change. It opens and closes with and without a cd in place. I played an audio cd and it would play for a few seconds, then open up, close and play some more. This is what I found in the hardware section.
TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B
"this device is working properly"

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

In that hardware section under device manager, find the CD drive, right click on it and click uninstall. Restart your computer and let Windows reinstall your optical drive for you. See if that helps any. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

I sense foul play, There was a post about a prank for automatic opening and closing of the cdrom drawer. I have to find the facts though. Unless the postee reads this thread first.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

I sense foul play, There was a post about a prank for automatic opening and closing of the cdrom drawer. I have to find the facts though. Unless the postee reads this thread first.

Yeah I've heard of stuff like this before. . .I'd check the task manager for any strange apps/tasks running.
http://www.instructables.com/id/E4OF5J6F1B3RAQI/?ALLSTEPS

Smack your friends around a little bit and see if they give you any info =P

Also, you could check your startup programs to see if something is hiding there, try start > run > type "msconfig" > startup (tab on the far right). This is a list of things that run when your computer boots.

Edited by T, 22 June 2007 - 05:33 PM.

Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

That was me that posted the link on how to do it. Damned if I can find it again though. I'll keep looking. 9 times out of 10, it's the drive going bad
Mark

I'm not a programmer, nor do I play one on TV. I know it can be written in C+ or JAVA. Here's the JAVA script:
JAVA development.com

Edited by garmanma, 22 June 2007 - 09:21 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

Well, it's still opening. I guess I can live with it. I have a dvd drive that still works.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

Did you uninstall then reinstall it?

What kind of DVD drive do you have? DVD burner or reader? If it's a burner, then you can remove the failing drive, and just have the one. It'll only be a minor inconvenience if you do a lot of disc to disc recording/copying.
Posted Image

#10 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

It's only a reader. I didn't have the file mentioned in a reply above to remove from the processes. My cd will open and close a lot, then settle down and not do it for awhile. If I have to burn something I'm not sure it will behave long enough to finish. Your talking to someone who doesn't have a clue about the inner workings of a computer. How difficult is it to replace?

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

I'm 60+ and I've replaced several. It's not hard. Just follow the instructions and make sure you're grounded. If the dvd writer (the good one) is set on master, then make sure you change the little thingies on the back to slave for the new drive. Your instructions should have some kind of diagram or picture to look at.

Basically, just observe how the bad one has been set up with the cables and the little power plug. Is it going to a sound card or an on board connection? Then just put the new one in the same way.

Edited by mommabear, 24 June 2007 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users