Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Back After Standby

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arkle

arkle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hi folks,
Please forgive my ignorance in not using the correct terms, but everytime I leave my computer for ten minutes or so it goes into standby mode, in other words the screen goes blank/black.
To get back on I used to just move the mouse and away I would go again.
for the last few weeks, quite often but not always, When I move the mouse around one of these things happens;

the screen goes back to blue and I have to click on my icon to open up where I was before, but the cursor remains arrow shaped and wont change to a hand with pointy finger shape so cannot get back in.

Or moving the mouse wont have any effect and so I am just stuck with a blank/black screen.

Or the hand does appear and I do click on my Icon but nothing happens.

Have done many scans and anti virus things, and am currently awaiting a reply to my hijackthis log question

The problem is many times I start a scan and because they often take ages, I have to leave the computer and then if I cant get back on I have to press reset, and then the scan is lost or has to be started again.

Is there any way I can stop the computer going into standby [if thats the correct term?] then at least I could leave it for several hours if needed while some scan was taking place.

And does anyone have any idea what is causing the above problems.

IN operation the computer is very slow and unresponsive, and hangs a lot.

thank you, paul.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:56 AM

The usual fix for the standby issue is to reinstall the latest version of your video drivers - but it sounds like you've got other problems also. I'd suggest that you do these free, online scans for starters:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users