Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall With Dsl

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GOPHER77

GOPHER77

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

I enrolled in AT&T's $10 DSL access after only having dial-up. I need to ask about the best available free firewall that is also simple to install and use as I am not computer smart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

There are many free, excellent firewalls available. Two that I have used and can recommend are Comodo and Sygate. While both are simple to install, no firewall is completely simple to use---you must "train" it so that it knows what applications are permitted (by you) to have internet access.
Since these firewalls are free, you can certainly download one and give it a "test drive" and "kick the tyres" for two weeks. Just an important reminder: do not have more than one firewall running on your computer, since having several can cause not only performance slowdowns but serious conflicts.
See the list below for the links to these two firewalls (as well as others used by BC members):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

If you have never used a firewall, there is a good BC Tutorial that will help you understand how one works:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 June 2007 - 11:10 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 GOPHER77

GOPHER77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thank you, I went with Comodo and have had it up for a couple of days.
My next question, if you have time is to ask about a router. The modem that came with DSL is just for this destop. My son wants to be able to use his laptop also. What issues are there with putting in a router? Last evening he tried to attach his laptop with the ethernet cable that was connected to the desktop and that must have messed things up because I had to call today and they walked me through resetting the modem. With that in mind, I'm nervous about trying to attach a router.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

I suggest you make a separate post about the router in the hardware forum, where someone with expertise in that area can give you advice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users