Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se To Windows Xp Upgrade Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LeachThePeach

LeachThePeach

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

While attempting an upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition, the "Set-Up Program" locks up during the 1st Step . . . Collecting Information. I have left my PC running for 12 hours during the process with no changes in this time frame. I have 512 MB of RAM, an INTEL P4, and a 60 GB HDD with only 5.4 GB used. If I remove the XP upgrade installation CD and reboot, Windows 98SE returns to my desktop with all operations or programs running as usual. Windows 98SE runs very fast and there are no hang-ups anywhere within the system. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated by this frustrated computer owner . . . LeachThePeach . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

Are you doing a clean install? This is the most preferable way. You will loose data already on the machine, but you'll have less problems in the long run. The XP CD is bootable. You have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to the CD ROM being the first boot device.
xp upgrade1
xp upgrade2
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Have you tried something simple like cleaning the cd?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 LeachThePeach

LeachThePeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:30 AM

I have already tried "Cleaning the CD." That was my 1st thought after the upgrade installation failure. I haven't attempted a "Clean Install" with the Windows XP-Upgrade CD. Can I perform a "Clean Install" from my Windows XP Upgrade CD? I don't really want to lose all of my data as a result. I installed the Windows XP upgrade CD in the CDROM drive and booted up from the latter. Everything functioned okay until "Step #1 ... Collecting Information" halted or stalled for over 12 hours. Garmanma, if push comes to shove, I'll take your suggestions on a "Clean Installation." I need to review and follow the instructions on your "XP Upgrade 1 and XP Upgrade 2." . . . LeachThePeach.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:44 AM

If you have Roxio Easy CD Creator installed, uninstall it
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822967
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 LeachThePeach

LeachThePeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions on curing my Windows 98SE to Windows XP upgrading problem. I've decided to scrap the old computer (over 7 years old) and I'll simply purchase a new replacement. I'll probably buy a new HP model with hopes that Windows Vista isn't more of a headache . . . LeachThePeach . . .

Edited by LeachThePeach, 23 June 2007 - 02:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users